-

5th edition- page 128
2C.
There are popular ongoing discussions between a supporter and an opponent if the self-esteem movement. It left me staggered as to why this should even be a debate. It's crystal clear that lack of confidence leads to unstable individuals struggling to make their way in life.

It is evident that children are terribly affected if they are made to put up with severe punishments that make them doubt themselves. It causes them to have a low self-esteem, and become blinded to their self worth. They are made to believe there is something wrong with them that can not be fixed no matter what they do and that they must get punished for that. As if it's inhumane to make mistakes and learn from them, rather punishment is the only way out. Ultimately, these children end up hating their family and wanting to be away from them. This also results in many of them becoming bullies at school just to get the frustration out and have control in some way.

Giving children some freedom would make them understand the value of making the right decisions. They would know doing the wrong things holds them accountable and they get to face the consequences due to the wrong decisions they make. If such parenting methods are used, children learn over time rather than feeling like they failed in any way. The exactly same reason supports the compaign against competitions in schools. Students should not be made to feel as if they cannot do anything out of their academic box.

Not a single child should have to achieve the very best results or the first position in their grade in order to hear words of praise from their parents. They must not be made to think that they are compelled to do a certain job or get into a particular field in order to earn their parents respect. Every soul has a passion and goal in life that they have to fulfill. They need to be encouraged to persue their dreams even if they have failed a hundred times. Why do they have to be a certain way to earn love? Parents' love should not be based on conditions. The bare minimum they can do as parents is to fully accept  their child along with their multitude of flaws. Every child deserves to be loved unconditionally.