Chapter 20 | B's Conciseness

His movements were... limited. His awareness was blurry and distant. But there was a sense of knowing, he knew he didn't have his own body anymore, or his own computer and data. He was just a backup stored behind the password of his brother.

He couldn't really see what was going on, but he knew what was happening in the world from seeing L collect new data and memories every day. L was doing a lot better than him, he had goals, aspirations and love. B didn't, he never did. Even when he was fully functional and had his own body.

It was an odd feeling being in the mind of someone else with limited function and access. All he could really do was look through L's data to know what was going on, and to try and talk to him as often as he could. L could definitely hear B, and see him when he dreamed. But it was difficult for B to break through to him, it didn't always work. That password was powerful, it kept them apart.

It was probably for the best B didn't have his own body to control after what happened, he had mixed feelings on the whole thing. Part of him regrets everything, part of him was of the opinion he didn't have a choice and that's just how his AI formed. It's amazingly how to people, or in this case persacoms could be created in the same location by the same person and turn out so differently.

The data of B that was backed up to L's drives contained vague memories of their past and bits and pieces of files they felt the need to save. With the small amount of data there was on B, it wasn't possible to restore him to full function even if he got his body back. There was too much of it lost. But maybe it was a good thing, maybe it was safer that way.

B could see by looking at L's data that he'd been switched back on after having his past memories wiped and data locked behind that password. He watched as L used his AI to learn how to talk, use manners, learn safety, re-learn emotions and complex human concepts. And eventually, find the person just for him as the chobits were built to do.

Chobits were made to be humans. Have a family, feel things, love people and learn. Most importantly, to help. L was the spitting image of a chobit, he was everything he was built to be.

So what went wrong with B? They were made from the same code and materials. Why did their AI lead them down such different pathways? L was able to have a chance at a normal life but B? He was reduced down to a few files backed up onto his brother persacom.

And you, you took up so much of L's files. It was proof of how much he loved you, he had so much information on you from carefully watching and learning from you. B had never seen you, but he could tell what you looked like just from seeing what L had gathered in his files. B had never spoken to you, but he could tell how you talked from hearing audio that was saved to L's hard drive.

B knew you, but you didn't know B.

B knew what happened before you found L, but couldn't find a way to tell you. Although judging from the information you did know, you were getting close to figuring it out. It seemed someone wanted you to know.

Whoever was posting the pictures and sending you the files wanted you to figure it out, they were leaving a trail for you to follow. Why? Even B didn't know that.

Sometimes L felt like he was being watched, unbeknownst to him it was because B was looking through his data inside his computer. B was but a ghost roaming the library of files inside L's hardware but sometimes L could feel him.

L wondered... what was B like? He didn't remember him or know that much about him. Was B nice? Was he a good brother? Did they spend lots of family time together? He didn't know. He wanted to, but couldn't find a way to figure it out. It was a strange thought, the fact L was once a son and a brother to other people before you found him. And yet even though he had a family, he was left on the side of the road to be thrown out. If you didn't find him, he'd probably be spare parts by now.

You saved him, in a way. Gave him a second chance at life. That's why he loved you.

L was finalising all his files he'd collected on crime data to become a detective, he was almost ready to start investigating crimes. But first he wanted to make sure everything he'd collected was organised. He understood now that looking for patterns was important when investigating. So as he waited for his laptop to finish loading so he could plug himself in and keep working, he sat by the kotatsu and pondered on the strange feeling of being watched.

Was it B? He had the feeling it was.

Glancing over at the files put up on the fridge, he wondered why the person who made him wanted you to see those files after they'd just tossed him aside.

It was then all the data on investigation he'd collected, worked it's magic. A pattern, he'd noticed it.

Watari gave you the envelope with the files, Watari gave L clothes that fit him perfectly,
Watari knew how to charge L without surging the power.

Watari, the owner of the building. He knew something. That's why he was so knowledgeable about persacoms and didn't seem phased by L's extraordinary abilities. As if he already knew of L being a chobit. Watari was the pattern, he knew something about all this.

L perked up, like a lightbulb went off over his head. The moment caught your attention from your book, and you looked over at L.

"What's up honey?" You asked.

"Mr Watari..." L began.

"What about him?"

"He knows something. About me, the Chobits. He's the pattern, he keeps showing up in our investigation"

You thought about it for a moment, and realised that L was right. Watari WAS always showing up in the hunt for answers. Maybe he did know something about L, maybe he was the one delivering the messages to you.

"Hey you're right! Wow you really are a good detective aren't you?" You replied, now intrigued too.

L smiled, always joyous to be praised by you. It made him feel accomplished, like he'd solved a puzzle.

"Next time we see him we need to ask, he has to know something... L you're a genius!" You smiled.

L crawled over to you, giving you a tight hug.

"L is best detective?" He asked.

"L is absolutely best detective" you replied, giving him a squeeze back.

L might just be able to solve his own case here.

As you gave him that tight hug, L could feel that odd sensation of being watched again. Like someone in the back of his mind was telling him he was on the right path. B, perhaps?