Chapter 4 - Warning

Hridaypura

Everyone retired for the night and there were two chambers in which discussions were going on.  In Abhyuday's chamber, Parth asked Abhyuday, "What do you think about Bhabhi (sister-in-law)?".  To which Abhyuday raised his eyebrows and said, "She has not become your bhabhi yet". Parth rolled his eyes at this and said, "Yes but I have the right to call her Bhabhi, especially after continuously hearing from you all the time that you are engaged". Abhyuday said, "I didn't say that all the time. It's only when you want me to look at some girls figure and comment on it, that I refused by stating my engagement. That's all".  Parth replied, "Yeah, that's what. You already liked her without even seeing her. To be faithful to her with mere engagement is not a small thing. Anyways now tell me, What is your opinion about Bhabhi?". Abhyuday replied, "First of all, me being faithful has nothing to do with me liking her. It doesn't matter whom I am engaged to. I wanted to remain truthful so I did. Now coming to her, I think she wouldn't be able to survive long in our palace. She seems to be a weak lady to handle the conspiracies and traps in our palace". Parth continued his question, "So what are you going to do about it?". Abhyuday looked at his friend who for some reason seemed more concerned about his new bhabhi and said, "What can I do? The palace is her arena to fight and survive. Just like it is for me. Atleast until I ascend the throne".  Parth didn't know what to say.  "Will you accept her as your wife and love her?", Parth asked one last question to his friend.  To which Abhyuday replied, "I will give her all the rights as my wife and my Queen. And you very well know that I don't believe in sentiments, as they simply make people weak. Hope you got your answer".   Saying so, Abhyuday retired to his bed.  Parth came out of the chamber and looked back once at his friend and sighed while moving towards his own chamber.  All he could do was, pray for his friend to have a family not just a namesake one but the one with emotional connect as well.  He wished for his friend to have someone in his life whom he will care for, worry about and for whom he could fight against the world, once again.

At the same time in another chamber in the palace, Kalindi just laid down on her bed with closed eyes, in an unladylike manner, with only her skirt and blouse while her Jewels and the silk cloth which was draped over her upper body, were removed and kept away.  Nobody comes inside her chamber without asking her permission when she is present. So she doesn't have to worry about manners right now. Rekha and Lekha were standing beside the bed.  Rekha asked, "Princess, Shall I ask you something?".  Kalindi hmmed as an answer indicating her to proceed and then Rekha asked, "What do you think about the Yuvraj of Rakshatra?".  Kalindi opened her eyes and kept silent for a moment before responding, "He is a heartless person". Then she exclaimed after standing up from the bed, "I mean who will be so stone hearted to continue their meals while their family member is facing an unforeseen situation, which could have resulted in death. And that too when the problem is for their own father? I can't believe this. I don't know what is going to happen after I get married to him".  Rekha and Lekha stood there listening to their Princess blabbering non-stop while walking here and there and this is nothing new for them. They are the only two people who could say that they knew Kalindi in and out. For her brother and mother also don't know to this extent.  Lekha interrupted Kalindi's blabbering by saying, "Then what do you expect him to be, Princess? Do you want him to love you unconditionally?". Seeing Lekha's dreamy expression while asking this question, Kalindi replied with a scrunch of her nose, "Don't be delusional Lekha. Love is so overrated. Especially in Royal marriages, one should never expect love. And that was the first lesson I learnt after seeing my mother. She had to accept two more wives of my father and on top of that an unknown child as her own.  Women are cursed to live such a life".  Kalindi once again slumped down on her bed when Rekha asked, "Then how are you planning to live there princess? Will you keep the same facade that you keep in front of your parents, about your talents and interests?".  Kalindi chuckled and said, "It is not easy to keep up a facade infront of the person with whom you are going to spend the rest of your life. But if he is the same heartless person I saw today and doesn't care about my existence, then it won't be a difficult task to have the same facade".  Kalindi was quietened with another question from Rekha, "What if you fell in love with him?". After a few moments, Kalindi answered, "As I already said I cannot afford to fall in love with my husband who is a future king. As a King will have multiple wives and children, which will incite enemity among them resulting in chaos within the Palace. But if I ultimately fall for him and it is reciprocated, then people will come to know that I don't share what is mine". After that, the three of them finalized some last minute packing and retired for the night.

The next day it was haldi (Turmeric paste) and mehandi (Henna Patterns) ceremony of the bride and groom, which will be held seperately.  By Afternoon, Abhyuday's haldi was already completed and now it was Kalindi's haldi going on which will be followed by mehandi ceremony in the evening. Kalindi's step sisters were also present there. And one of the lady, wife of a minister, who was invited for the ceremony asked Kalindi's stepmother, "Choti Rani (Younger Queen), when are you going to get Princess Uttara married? She is also just one year younger than Princess Kalindi, right?".  To which Uttara's mother replied, "Yes, you are right. And our King knows whom to select for her, as he has done with Princess Kalindi. So we don't need to worry about that". Hearing her, Queen mathura smiled lightly and once again turned back to look at her daughter, whose skin already started to glow like gold.  But that minister's wife didn't stop there, she continued, "Of course Choti Rani. Who knows better than the King? I asked that because I got to know that the younger Prince of Rakshatra, brother of the groom, is also engaged already. Otherwise it could have been that both our princesses could have lived in the same place".  Queen Mathura didn't acknowledge their conversation and finally the ceremony came to an end.  Kalindi was accompanied by Lekha towards her chamber while Rekha already went there to arrange a bath, so that Kalindi could remove the haldi quickly.  While on her way, Kalindi was blocked by her stepsister, Uttara. Kalindi kept her neutral expression and stared at her step sister without any words. Then Uttara said with a mock, "Seems like my sister is eager to become the Yuvrani (Crown Princess) of Rakshatra?". When Kalindi didn't reply anything, Uttara continued, "But don't keep your hopes high. I'm going to ask Father to fix my engagement with Yuvraj Abhyuday, after your marriage. I know he will not agree but I can convince him by saying that I will become my sister's strength when other wives will enter the palace after me. So it may take time but I will make it happen. Be ready to welcome your sister as your co-wife as well". Uttara was waiting to see a change in Kalindi's expression but her own mocking smile was wiped out after hearing the reply. "You are welcome sister", Kalindi replied still in the same calm voice and same neutral expression.  The calmness and neutrality which Uttara couldn't attain and often get criticised by their teachers and the Queen as well.

When Kalindi was about to leave, Uttara furiously said, "Be careful, sister. Because once I enter the Palace, it will only be a matter of time before you are finished".  Her subtle threat made a crack in the ever so neutral face of Kalindi, who now sported a small smile. Uttara left from there but she didn't know the consequence of that smile which she evoked on Kalindi's face. But Lekha knew that smile very well and then they went away from the corridor.  Abhyuday who was moving towards the ceremony hall for the next ritual, happened to hear this conversation, while standing in the lane to the left of the corridor which effectively hides him from the sight of the two sisters. And Kalindi's answer to her stepsister made his judgement of her character even stronger.  With a sigh, he moved towards the ceremony hall, where his friend was waiting for him.  In both of his ceremonies, Oormila didn't involve herself in any rituals as she doesn't want to loose her dignity infront of all.  Mehendi ceremony was also completed for him, which was followed by Kalindi's mehendi.

After all the rituals are done, Kalindi had returned to her chamber to have a good night's rest for the marriage next day.  Just before going to bed, she instructed Rekha, "Rekha, it seems like the time has come for testing the new herb which you brought last week".  Both her maids shared a knowing look and went on to proceed with the assigned work.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

What will Kalindi do?

How is the new cover?

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.