Chapter 10 - Control

Suddenly everyone heard a voice, "Oormila!".  And Oormila's breath got stuck, as there is only one person in the whole of Rakshatra who will call her by her name.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hearing the loud and clear voice with a deadly tone, the soldiers felt a chill in their spine.  Kalindi was surprised and shocked at his way of address, towards his step mother and the Queen.  Yuvraj Abhyuday walked inside the Shastrashala majestically and the soldiers submitted by bending on one knee.  The maids who came with the Queen and Yuvrani, rushed out of the maze of a building and greeted him. He walked past everyone and stood infront of Oormila and asked by looking at her with an intimidating stare, "What did you want her to do?".  Oormila stuttered badly and immediately one of her maids, rushed and brought the chappal and made her wear it after cleaning it.  After that Oormila tried to calm herself down but failed in it badly, so masked her nervousness and said, "Yuvraj, I...I just got slipped by the clay and my chappal got stuck in it. So I j..just asked Yuvrani to help me with it as I can't walk barefoot.  Nothing much Yuvraj".  Abhyuday replied, "You are behaving as if you had never walked barefoot".  At his words, Oormila's back turned stiff.  After his mother's death and Oormila officially crowned as the Queen, Abhyuday still continued to call her by name, as per his habit from childhood, without caring about the time, place and people.  Above all, the King also wouldn't reprimand him, neglecting it as habit but in reality the reason was his fear of increased hatred from his son.

Now the biggest fear of Oormila is coming true, that is, Abhyuday reminding her past life infront of all.  Although many of the people of Rakshatra knew the truth, they wouldn't dare to mock her because of the power she holds and the influence she has over the King.  But now when they get to know that she had been insulted by Yuvraj, then she will lose everything that she had so carefully built over the years.  Even the king won't help her in this issue.  Bringing her out of the thoughts, Abhyuday said, "You might be habitual of doing such menial works.  But a Royally brought up Princess will not feel comfortable with these works.  Neither were they taught nor were they trained for these kind of works.  I'm just reminding you that Yuvrani is different from you. Don't compare.  And don't create situations where I will have to talk more".  After that, Yuvraj turned to Kalindi who was already looking at him, with nothing but confusion written all over her face.  Confusion over his intentions, actions and the facts spilled.  On the other hand, Kalindi could see anger in his eyes.  She might not know whom his anger is directed towards.  Abhyuday tried hard to control his immense anger towards Oormila, towards the maids and also towards Kalindi.  He went away from the shastrasala, leaving the people to their own thoughts.

Kalindi along with her maids went away, giving a silent stare towards Oormila.  That stare indicated that Oormila has crossed her limit, in breaking Kalindi's threshold point of tolerance.  After that, Oormila looked around the soldiers who didn't look up and then went away hurriedly.  She had never faced such an insult after marrying the King and that too infront of all the lowly servants.  And this made her even more furious to the point that her tears started to roll down her cheeks which she harshly wiped away. While going towards her chamber, Oormila murmured with gritted teeth, "Abhyuday, You will have to pay for these insults".  After reaching the Queen's chamber, it was her maids who had to bear the brunt of her immense anger.  Even her own daughter was frightened and went back without even meeting her mother.  Soon the entire chamber was a mess with broken vases, jewellery and other things, which the maids started to clean up quickly.  Afterall, Oormila couldn't afford to let her husband see her or her chamber in such an unceremonious state. 

On the other hand, while going towards her chamber from the shastrasala after the terrific incident, Kalindi was thinking about the situation and mentally cursed Oormila, "If you thought, I will degrade myself for a person like you, then you are wrong old witch.  Even if those soldiers get a wrong impression about me, I don't care.  You should thank Yuvraj, otherwise you would have to stand in one leg for a whole day atleast".  After finished with her cursing, Kalindi tried connecting dots with whatever Yuvraj had told.  She could understand that Queen Oormila was not a royal born but rather from an ordinary family.  But is that the reason for Yuvraj's hatred towards his step-mother.  Was he ill-treated by her while his father favoured his step-siblings?  But something made her believe that it is not just a step-siblings rivalry or step-mother's ill-treatment.  May be it is the King's soft approach towards Yuvraj or the Queen's fear filled eyes whenever she had to perform a ritual in the marriage ceremony, that made Kalindi think otherwise.  While thinking all this, Kalindi reached her chamber and then entered bedroom, only to get another surprise of the day. 

Yuvraj Abhyuday was standing in her chamber with his back turned to her and hands folded behind his back.  Kalindi's maids didn't enter the bedroom as Yuvraj was there, so only the couple remained in the room.  Abhyuday turned to look at her and saw her usual calm and composed expression, which didn't give away any of her emotions.  And that did puzzled him a lot.  Masking his own expressions, Abhyuday said in a stern voice, "Yuvrani, My presence in your room might surprise you but let me come to the point directly.  I don't want, whatever happened today to repeat another time.  You should always remember that you are no longer a simple Princess, to go unnoticed.  Now you are the Yuvrani and I hope you keep the dignity of your position in mind before doing anything for anyone".  Kalindi didn't refute his words and simply nodded at him.  Abhyuday was convinced that if he didn't come to the shastrasala, then she would have done what Oormila had asked of her. 

Abhyuday clapped his hands and immediately, Gopi came in. He gave the order to bring breakfast to the room.  In the meantime, Yuvraj went towards the balcony and watched over the forest, to cool down his mind or may be the secret hidden in the forest cools him down.  The vast forest always calmed him down. Kalindi was looking at him skeptically, as he had ordered breakfast here.  This will be their first meal together, after almost a week of their marriage.  Soon, the meal was placed by the maids but Abhyuday dismissed them before they could serve them and took his seat.  As the maids went out, Kalindi was about to serve the food in his plate, but he caught her hand before she could do. Abhyuday made her sit on her seat opposite him, all the while keeping her hand in his and then examined her palm.  "Where is the burn?", He asked to which Kalindi replied in a soft voice, after coming out of her shock, "It had healed within a day".  Abhyuday nodded at her and gestured her to eat.  Then He said, "As I said, You are my Yuvrani. You should not be doing works of maids.  As far as duty of a wife is concerned, there is no book written on that.  So just ignore whatever you had been taught in Hridaypura.  I hope you understood what I'm saying". 

While Abhyuday was calmly explaining his point of view, after letting go of his anger, both of which he had not done for anyone else, Kalindi was stuck on the word 'my Yuvrani' and felt her heart beat abnormally.  Already his concern over her burnt hands was overwhelming her and on top of that, his sudden actions created a warm feeling in her heart. Seeing her not answering him, Yuvraj Abhyuday clicked his fingers infront of her, which pulled her out of her dream land.  She asked absentmindedly, "what?".  Abhyuday looked at her for a moment and said, "Don't overthink anything".  He thought that she was still thinking about the incident.  So he said, "And You don't need to belittle yourself to be beneath anyone.  Not even me.  The title of Yuvrani is below the title of Queen.  But Yuvrani also has some dignity and power that must not be laid down for anyone.  Do you understand?".  Kalindi subconsciously nodded her head as if a student understood what the teacher was teaching them. Seeing her nodding her head like an obedient child, Abhyuday sighed and then said, "Eat".  She simply started to eat her food while looking at him time to time. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.