Chapter 36 - Unveiled

She was surprised by his reply as well as excited to go on a ride with him.  And she was sure that this ride will not be a simple ride and there surely be some kind of adventure as he said.  So she changed her saree with a longer one so that the bottom half could be folded like that of the dhoti(pant style for bottom).

-----------------------------------------------------------

They went out of the palace and were riding through the market place.  Since they were wearing cotton clothes with less jewellery, they didn't attract the attention of the people.  For the common people, they were just some noble persons who might have some official positions in the court.  While trotting through the market on their individual horses, Kalindi asked, "Yuvraj, Did the injured soldier get better?".  Abhyuday nodded at her still looking around the place.  Kalindi also took in the surroundings.  Later they reached a jewellery shop where various precious gems were sold.  When they entered, the shop attendant welcomed them and took them to the nearby private room.  Once the couple was left alone, Kalindi asked, "How come no one treated it differently seeing me, a woman, riding a horse?  If it were my maternal kingdom then by now, everyone would have looked at me saying who is this woman that is riding a horse".

Abhyuday had a blank face unlike the usual smile he gives her and said, "That's because, here women are not banned from any kind of skill.  And in the past, women from the General's family do take horse ride around the capital.  If Parth had a sister then she would have been like this only".  Then the shop attendant brought some warm drinks for them and went away.  Kalindi took the drink and felt good especially her appetite which nowadays is more peculiar.  After the drink, Abhyuday said, "Shall we go?".  Kalindi looked around and said, "This is a jewellery shop right.  How can we simply drink and then leave?".  He stood up and gently pulled her up as well and took her to the wall opposite to the door.  Kalindi looked at the triangular shaped hollow space on the wall where fire was glowing, lighting up the room.  Suddenly Abhyuday put his hands into the fire place and immediately Kalindi pulled his hand away.  She gasped while looking at the reddish color on his hands due to the burn.

Abhyuday removed her hands and then opened his fist to show her a key.  Then he pushed that key into the flat wall infront of them, much to Kalindi's confusion as there was not any door or key hole.  But as soon as he pressed that key on the wall, it went in and a click was heard as though something was unlocked.  Then the centre part of the wall turned in the middle, allowing two people to get in from both sides.  Kalindi looked at Abhyuday who gestured her to move inside and he too went in.  When Kalindi entered the new room, she was welcomed by a well lit room with some table chair and also some scrolls and maps were also present.  Abhyuday closed the door again and stood behind her as she looked around the place.  She asked, "So this is your secret place?".  He nodded at her and she continued, "But why you need one? Is it because of the frequent assassination attempts?".  To which he replied, "That is one of the reasons".  Saying so he pulled her again to a corner and then pulled up a basement door which was covered with a carpet on the floor.  Kalindi followed him again thinking that it will be another floor in the basement but at last learned that it was a tunnel and a long one at that.

After sometime they reached stairs once again and Abhyuday climbed up first followed by Kalindi.  She could hear some swords clashing and many footsteps when she was coming out of the underground tunnel.  Once she came out, She saw almost hundred people including some women were practicing sword fighting while divided in pairs.  The place where they climbed up was in the middle of the practice arena.  The arena was built using rocks, the compound was in a circular shape but every single side was completely covered from the outside view by the dense canopy of the tall trees present there.  And there were some rooms built along the compound wall.  The couple walked around the arena as Abhyuday gave a silent tour of the place.  Then Kalindi saw her maid Gopi coming towards them in her warrior attire which was similar to men except the high bun of her hair.  Gopi greeted her, "Yuvraj and Yuvrani! Greetings!".  Kalindi nodded at her after calming down her surprise.  Even though Kalindi expected that Gopi was different from normal maid, She didn't think that Gopi would be trained in warfare.  She asked Gopi to continue with her training and the girl went away.

Then Abhyuday took her towards the table and chairs placed on the tree shade and both of them sat together.  Looking around for a few minutes, Kalindi asked,"So what are you planning to do with these many people?".  He chuckled at her question and said, "You will know soon".  Soon everyone left the practice arena using the same tunnel after greeting the Royal couple and when there was no one else, Kalindi asked him,"How come these many people go to that jewellery shop everyday and no one notices it?".  He replied calmly,"This tunnel has many interlinking routes, they will reach some other place.  I, usually use the one from the jewellery shop during daytime and if at night time, then I use the one from the Palace".  Kalindi was surprised at the last statement as she didn't expect that he will have it linked with the Palace as well, amidst all the security.

Kalindi remembered about the night before his mother's death anniversary, when he returned late at night but not through the doors.  So she connected that he might have been here venting out his anger.  She then asked, "But in the palace where is it connected?".  Before he could answer her, they heard a person coming out of the room  which is one of the two rooms available in the overall arena.  That person who seemed to be in his late 30s, came towards them and greeted them, "Yuvraj and Yuvrani may live long! Yuvraj, Now he is stable and your suspicion was correct.  His wound had poison as well but it was very minute and difficult to detect.  Since you were familiar with this, the first aid was done and now he is alright".  Abhyuday nodded at him and then the person went back to the same room.  Before Kalindi could ask anything, Abhyuday stood up and gave his hand for her to get up.  Kalindi took his hand and stood up and then followed him to the room where the injured person is residing.

While walking, Abhyuday said, "He is our private vaidhji (Physician) who doesn't have any connection with the Palace.  He has pledged his loyalty to me, after I provided his family with security at a crucial point of time".  Then they went inside to check the injured person and Kalindi gasped to find that it was Bharath who was injured and realised that may be this is the reason she couldn't find him during that chaos.  Abhyuday went near him and caressed his forehead while being careful enough to not disturb his sleep.  When they came out, Abhyuday just stared at the sky and kept standing there for sometime.  Kalindi didn't ask anything to let him be in some peace.

Then Abhyuday said, "You know, when I was a child, I had very few friends and those few are still my closest family. Parth, Laksh, Bharath are those people who I would never want to lose in my life.  They are the ones who know me more than just a Yuvraj".  Now, Kalindi understood as to why Abhyuday trusted him that much when she asked him.  She said regretfully, "It was my mistake to doubt him unnecessarily".  Abhyuday chuckled at her and pulled her by her waist.  Kalindi gasped and looked around and also at the door where Vaidhji was still there and tried to come out of his grip.  He said, "Don't worry, no one will disturb us.  And You didn't doubt unnecessarily.  You were right in finding out the person who had injury on his shoulder".  Kalindi was confused by his answer when they heard the door from the tunnel getting opened again and the person who came out of the tunnel brought a shock to Kalindi as she was left speechless.

Glossary:
Maharaj - King
Maharani - Queen
Yuvraj - Crown Prince
Yuvrani - Crown Princess
Rajkumar - Prince
Bhai - Brother
Bhabhi - sister-in-law
Vaidh ji - Doctor
Chacha - Father's younger brother
Shastrasala - Godown of weapons with practice arena
Gurudev - Teacher

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

The next chapter Abhyuday will open up to Kalindi but it will still remain between them and not for the audience. 😉

But you sure will get a glimpse.

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.