T W E N T Y - S E V E N

I couldn't open my eyes. A part of me was afraid of the disappointment I'd find in her. I'd seen it enough for days, weeks, and each night it destroyed me. And after the last hour, believing I killed her... I couldn't.

I needed her to stay with me. Like this, right in front of me, wanting to hold me. It was everything I needed. To know she was all right in here meant she was alive. And if she was alive, I—

"Roger, don't do this. Look at me," Clara said. When I opened my eyes, she smiled weakly. "This isn't the first time you had me in the dark to protect me, remember?"

I blinked. There was no way I could forget. I purposely didn't tell her of my original existence, of the truth behind the VFs release. It was partly that I didn't know... but I also believed the further she was in the dark, the better. For her, for me, for everyone.

She stroked my cheeks with her thumbs. "And this isn't the first time I didn't listen."

I snorted through my nose.

Oh, I remembered that. To think I thought protecting her was my struggle...

I'd struggle if I didn't have her...

There was a small part of me that wanted to ask why—why had she pushed me away? Why did she listen to someone else? But as I thought of it, she'd done that before, too. I had kept her in the dark to protect her from the truth, and she followed the words of Peace against mine. This was no different. She and I were no different.

As flawed as we were, as stubborn, this was us. And I needed to do everything to keep us. And if atoning for my past crimes, the lies I'd told, this plan to take over the world—I needed to do that.

I cupped her face and looked into her eyes. "I love you," I whispered.

Clara weakly smiled, her fingers gently caressing my hands. "I love you."

Closing the space between us, I pressed my lips against hers and closed my eyes. I needed to take in this moment, even if it was just a second, because if I turned away and opened my eyes... if she was gone.

Clara pulled away first. "Polk is up to something."

Opening my eyes, I nodded. "I know," I said.

"No." Clara shook her head. "He pushed me. That's how you shot me."

I leaned back, trying to recall that moment. If I had been paying attention, not blinded by rage, would I have seen him do it? Shit. Yes, I would've. I could've pulled back, readjusted, and fired at him a different way. Or not have shot the gun at all. The repercussions of my actions were waiting outside the Void for me...

I knew I'd deal with it when I opened my eyes. And I didn't care.

As long as Clara opened her eyes with me.

She squeezed my fingers as she looked down at our shoes. She stepped back, shaking her head. "Polk told me... that you needed to experience loss, like his loss."

Experience a loss? I'd done my share of experiencing loss and pain; if this was his way of making me pay for my sins, I wouldn't do it. I'd done enough of that. For over fifty years, I sat frozen in a computer just waiting for my chance...

And then forgot what that chance was...

Until Clara...

I cupped Clara's face again, looking into her eyes. "Look, listen to me, we need to leave—"

A slow clap broke our space. I knew the sound. I'd heard it before. Quickly looking toward the sound. Polk broke through the space, appearing just near us with a cloud of pixels. As he approached from the data, he grinned, maliciously. "Well, shit, I didn't expect to see this," he said. "I should have but didn't."

Shaking my head, I moved Clara behind me. "Look, Polk, you shouldn't be here—"

"Hm?" Polk chuckled.

"—so, whatever you're doing, you need to stop," I hissed.

"Oh!" Polk clapped his hands again, louder than before. He put them behind his back as he stood in front of us. Too closed. I moved Clara further back, then followed.

Polk shook his head. "Well, whatever it is you think I did, just know I completed that."

I chewed on the insides of my cheeks, clenching my jaw. "What?"

"But this?" He pointed at Clara. "I didn't expect this."

The space around us changed. The white shifting to grey. A static slowly filled the air. I wanted to look around but kept my eyes on Polk. That didn't stop Clara from pulling at my arm. "Roger" she whispered, "I think X is trying to get us out of here."

I glanced up above us. The static was visible. Thank God for Xerses. If anyone could pull us out of here, he could.

Yet, as we looked up, Polk did, too. "Oh, I remember that smart kid," he said, looking back at me as I did him. "He was stuck in here for a while, wasn't he?"

I didn't answer. I wouldn't give him the pleasure of acknowledgment. If he knew Xerses and how smart he was, then he had to know we'd get out. Reaching behind me, I made sure Clara was out of his view, yet close so I could keep her in my protection.

Polk lifted a finger, grinning again. "Even if he's able to get you and your girlfriend out of here, Roger, it's pointless. Both of you being here," he pointed at us and laughed, "has given me in a new idea."

I flinched. A new idea? What else could he do?

Before I could ask, if I had even wanted to ask, Polk lifted both of his hands beside his face. With a flick of his fingers, the force of the Void closed in around us. I grunted with the pressure beating against my chest. My eyes squeezed shut. But when I opened them again, the force shifted, pressing outward.

And with that force, Clara flew away from me, around me, and right into Polk's arms.

"No!" I reached out, screaming at the top of my lungs, but missed. She was too far from my fingertips.

Clara, screaming, too, slapped his face. Kicked him. Polk didn't budge. He laughed and clicked his teeth. "Don't do that, Clara. I actually like that."

My chest grew heavy. All I said was red. I pushed my feet to the floor, ready to jump at Polk, but Xerses' voice broke through the field. It was static, but I knew it. I knew it everywhere. It stopped me. "Roger?"

When Clara screamed, my eyes snapped forward, focused on Polk. I grit my teeth until my jaw hurt. "Let her go," I hissed. I took a step toward him. "Let her go!"

Polk flicked his fingers again. Instantly, I was pulled from where I was. Polk's hand wrapped around my neck as he grabbed me, hanging me over his neck. I gasped, my eyes bulging in my head. Still holding Clara against the other side of him, she screamed, but he shook his head. His grin faded. His eyes darkened. "This place, this Void as you all have grown to call it, was the world I created for my wife. Her home from my darkness."

Turning his head, he looked at Clara, before lifting her, too. She hung beside me, gasping for air, tears in her eyes. She whimpered as she turned her gaze to look at me. She attempted to grab me, but Polk moved her further away.

I growled, trying to shake myself free. "Clara..."

"You, Miss Clara," Polk pulled her close to his face, "will become her new home."