F O R T Y - O N E

"Roger, I've got it!" Xerses called out from one of the old computers. "There are two programs," he drew in a slow breath between clenched teeth, "one's for his machine, the other one looks like it's what the Province built."

"Perfect," I squeezed Polk's neck harder, catching the smirk on his face, "start the program that will help us!" I said.

"On it!" he replied.

We were getting somewhere. It wasn't how I thought this plan would go, but Polk seemed stuck here, not fighting back. I admit, I wanted the fight.

Why make this easy?

"Roger?" A buzzing static sounded in my ear, oddly familiar, and haven't heard it in so long. For a second, I looked up at the ceiling and stared at the white lights. I listened, then the buzzing voice came again. "Shit, Roger, say something if this works."

I pressed my tongue into my cheek, slightly lowering Polk back on his feet. I cleared my throat and focused my voice on the frequency in my ear. "Matthews?"

"Hey! Yeah! Fuck, thank God this works!" Matthews' excited voice buzzed in my ear. "I found them!"

Shocked, I dropped Polk and turned as if it could help me hear Matthews better. "You found Polk's army?

"I did, shit! All in a room we passed, don't know how we missed it, but fuck, they're all here," Matthews cheered.

"What are they doing? Are you okay?" I turned again, this time catching the look in Polk's eyes. A slow build-up of laughter escaped him as we stared at each other.

"Um, they're sleeping?" Matthews whispered, confused. "It looks like they're sleeping standing up."

I couldn't focus on Polk and looking at his face as he laughed louder was distracting. I turned and focused on Xerses instead. He continued to tap at the computer he found and I hoped it worked. I hummed as stepped toward him. "Start the weapon side," I said, ordered. "Let's get this over with." I then tilted my head, focusing my conversation on Matthews. "X is going to start this up, so let me know if—"

A button clicked. The lights above us flickered. In seconds, Xerses screamed and slid down onto the floor, clutching his head. Zara did the same thing to my right.

As screaming filled the space, I wasn't sure who to run to. Instinct told me to check on Zara first because of Clara. I turned sharply and touched her face. Tears slid down her cheeks as she whimpered, pressing her hands against her ears. "Roger," she cried.

Gritting my teeth, I looked up toward Xerses as he balanced himself on his knees. The veins bulged in his hands. "Shit, shit, shit," I hissed.

"I told you you'd regret it," Polk laughed. "I told you!"

Fuck what he had to say. Antagonizing me now wasn't going to change anything. I just needed to know what was going on.

I passed my thumbs over Zara's face as I looked into her bright eyes. "Zara," I whispered.

She squeezed her eyes shut. "My head.... My head..."

I bit the insides of my cheeks as Xerses growled so loud, my blood ran cold. Gently placing Zara back on the floor, I pressed my hand on her chest before standing, hurrying over in Xerses' direction. I dropped to his side and cupped his face, too. He was covered in sweat, his eyes bloodshot red, and a trickle of blood came out from his ears.

Fuck.

"Rog," Matthews hissed in my ear, "something's going on down here."

"Did you hear me?" Polk called, his laughter growing. "I said you'd regret it! Now look!"

I looked back at him, glaring at him. "The fuck did you do?" I shouted.

"I didn't do anything." His eyes widened as his smile grew. He slapped his hands on his chest. "Your friend pressed the button."

"Tell me!" I demanded, still holding Xerses. He trembled in my hands. I felt his bones crack as he fought the pain.

"I did what you were going to do to every Code! The machine was supposed to fry every active computer chip attached to a brain and wipe the memories attached. Every Code would've been a zombie at your actions, but nope! I flipped that switch, and had the machine target other chips, still active in so many Provincial citizens. The weapon reaches far and wide!"

Receptors. So many people have their receptors...

I hadn't thought of what was going to happen. I just wanted to end all of this. If the weapon had left every Code in a zombie state, I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself... if I could remember what I'd done.

Province never had Codes in mind... we were expendable, and now the human citizens are casualties...

"Fuck..." I covered my ear and focused on Matthews. "Are you okay?"

"Huh?" Matthews gasped, staticky as if he hadn't expected me to say anything. "I'm good," he said. "But I ain't never seen so many fuckin' blue eyes in my life, man!"

How could I have forgotten that Matthews didn't have a receptor? He had his removed when he joined Peace before the digital war.

Pushing himself to stand, Polk moved away from us. "I told you, you would regret your actions. Now look at what you've done to the world."

I looked down at Xerses' face. His eyes opened, rimmed with tears. Not only had I ruined this machine, and hurt the people I cared about, but according to Polk, I'd hurt the world. For a second, I struggled to grasp the truth.

It had been so long since I'd messed up this bad...

Could I fix it?

I gently placed Xerses back on the floor and stood. I couldn't fix it from this room; I had no idea what would go on in there. But if there was something I was familiar with, was Codes. I was one.

I covered my ear and focused on the static in my head. "Matthews, tell me your exact location."

"Um, man," Matthews fumbled for a second, "it's a skinny door, just to the right of those stairs we came from."

A skinny door? We walked right past it.

I looked at Zara and scanned her body, then I did the same to Xerses. The both of them let up like fireworks. The pain they had to be in...

"Rog," Matthews hissed in my ear, "they're leaving!"

"Leaving?" I looked at the door.

"They just pushed me and headed out this door! I couldn't stop them, I just—"

I hurried forward three steps but with no direction. I couldn't get to him now, nor could I leave everyone here. My hands balled into fists. "Shoot them!" I shouted at Matthews. He had a weapon with him, he could use it.

"I can't..." he whispered.

"What?" I twitched.

"...They took my gun, Rog..."

"They took—" I squeezed my eyes shut and pinched the bridge of my nose. Frustration surged through me.

Matthewshad one job...