T H I R T Y - O N E

The lights in the conference room powered on the second I walked in and activated the main computer sitting in the middle of the room. I didn't touch any of the buttons; I let my mind tap into the system. I watched commands slide over my sight as I bypassed passwords and logins to go straight to the call log. Prime's contact info was right at the top; Xerses had made the last call.

And I started this one.

The chime from the phone's ringing echoed in the room as the door behind me shut. Glancing back, I watched Xerses step inside. We locked eyes before I turned back to the screen on the wall as the call to Prime connected.

I didn't say a word when the screen brightened and Prime's face was clear. He looked unbothered and safe where he sat. Judging by the frames on the wall, he was in his office. His forced smile brimmed with his visual importance.

"Roger," he said, cupping his hands together in front of him, "it is good to see you're okay. After what Xerses told me—"

"After what he told me I'm surprised you haven't done anything about it," I cut him off. "Another war is looming over our heads and your response was to what?"

Prime slowly lowered his hands, flattening them on the table. I didn't need to be next to him to know he was nervous, unsure, and whatever answer he'd give would be a lie. It was all over his body language.

He cleared his throat. "After being unconscious for about a month, I think you should sit this one out and let us handle this."

Handle this? How? I woke up on Provincial Hall's medical floor and walked through an empty building. I woke up to the news that many Codes had voluntarily become prisoners while others followed Polk and his plans. And I woke up to the fact that the woman I loved... was under the control of the woman Polk loved.

The streets were under attack at any given hour. Nothing was taken care of.

"Hm." Trailing my tongue along my bottom lip, I sidestepped enough to look at Xerses who'd made himself comfortable sitting on the table's edge. We locked eyes as he shook his head, disappointment on his face.

Prime was the person the Province looked up to. But in a situation like this... we were in danger if we waited for him.

"You got this covered, the same way you let Polk slip into your system, hm? You kept him at your side—"

Prime sighed and closed his eyes. "Again, Roger, you just woke up. I think you should—"

There he was. Brushing me off. Cutting me off, not giving me the chance to talk to him. A year ago, Prime came to me for everything. He consulted Xerses and me before any decisions were made because we had a better knowledge of Codes and their needs.

"Clara," it was my time to cut him off, "she isn't the same. She isn't Clara."

"That's..." Prime paused for a moment. A long pause. Long enough that Xerses pushed off the table and turned to face the screen. His face pulled back in disbelief. Xerses loved and cared for Clara as a brother. And if she was ignored and pushed aside, he'd have something to say just like I did.

"I can't," Xerses said through clenched teeth, "are you serious?"

"After everything we've done," I crossed my arms over my chest, "everyone we've helped."

"Look," Prime clapped his hands together. The sound echoed with static through the call speakers, "the Province appreciates everything you've done. All of you," his gaze panned to the right as if he looked at Xerses before looking back at me, "but this situation calls for us upholding our morals and standing by the great good."