T W E N T Y - T W O

Weeks.

For weeks, Polk convinced everyone he was a changed man. He was a Code with new light, new beginnings. Prime presented him on the morning news, within daily provincial updates; he was the golden child of the digital evolution.

He was... what I was.

But I didn't care about that. If he wanted to keep up his façade, there was nothing I could do about it. We were closing in on data files tucked away within his background; Xerses was sure it would spill over. And with the Domes encountering a hiccup, structures in need of additional inspections, we believed we had time.

Something I felt I was all out of.

Staring at my phone's newest notification, I stood outside Xerses' front door, waiting for him to meet me outside. When he came, we locked eyes before I glanced inside. "How is she?" I asked before anything else.

Clara was there. She'd been there since the day outside the Domes. After believing 'Polk was a changed man,' and helping him because he 'was a man who truly cared,' she left. Clara packed her bags, took her phone, and left our apartment. She'd been staying at Xerses' ever since.

Seeing our friend was the only way I could see her in passing.

When Xerses stepped outside, Erica appeared. She smiled at me before closing the door, locking it.

"Hey," Xerses gave me a small nod before glancing at the street, "are you ready to get this day started?"

I gulped. He brushed over my question. "Clara's asked you not to talk to me about her, hasn't she?" I muttered. "It's just... on today... of all days..."

"She's mad, Rog." Xerses' lifted his brows. "And I think she has a right to be. If I had known she knew nothing I would've told you to talk to her. At least a little bit. I just..."

He was right. And that ate me alive for days.

I hadn't been alone in that bed... since my recreation. Clara had always been at my side. Even when I was in her head, she found a way to find me. Her absence was a hole in my soul.

"But, once this is done," Xerses pointed at the street, "and you can sort all of this out with the Domes and Restoration, I know it'll get better. She loves you."

I knew she loved me. And I loved her. I just knew it wouldn't be so easy. "Well, we can't get this day started, anyway."

Xerses' gaze snapped back in my direction. "What?"

I lifted my phone. It was better to show him than say it. The notification I had been staring at for an hour, the very same that had me rushing over to Xerses' to get him to leave early, was a text message from Matthews. It was simple, yet frustrating.

It read, "There's an issue. You need to come quick."

"Why couldn't he just tell you what it was?" Xerses hissed.

Repocketing my phone and shrugged, starting towards the street. "Like you said, X, let's get this day started."

|||

The Domes Unveiling wasn't supposed to be for a few hours, but that didn't mean there weren't a few Codes lingering around for the big announcement—the day when they could readily move in. But as I pushed through the small crowd to see Matthews standing at the main gate, it broke my heart knowing they probably wouldn't get what they wanted. The protestors nearby would have a better day. Unfortunately.

"Come on." Matthews unlocked the entrance as Xerses and I approached. I tried to push inside after Xerses, but a woman reached out and grabbed me. I glanced back and found myself looking into her confused, Code eyes.