T W EN T Y - O N E

kept my fears to myself. I didn't see a reason to worry more people. Xerses and I had enough on our plates. I thought that if more people knew, they're either 1) think we were lying or 2) panic along with us. Chaos was never a good reaction. The outcome meant mayhem. And with the Restoration project reaching its end of days, there was no reason to add to the stress of the world. Codes dealt with enough.

As Xerses worked in the background—digging through files, monitoring Polk's data from within the Province—I stayed outside. I remained on the streets, sorting through the requirements for the Domes.

The structures were complete. Livable. Apartments were constructed just for us; out of the buildings that previously stored our data. Codes were excited, watching from the gates surrounding where they'd soon be living. When they saw me, they smiled; I returned the gesture, but not for long. I couldn't afford to be distracted.

Prime had assigned Polk as 'assistant' to help with the Domes.

Knowing I had no choice but to agree, I allowed him to stay. And it worked in my favor; while Xerses dug around through a digital mess, I was able to keep my eyes on Polk. Physically. He moved around the Dome Sector; checking buildings, checking off boxes. And as he moved from Dome to Dome, I slowly followed from behind. This had become routine for more than a week.

Until today.

"What are you doing?" a voice spoke to me. Clara's voice.

Gripping my tablet tight in my hands, I quickly turned and faced her. Clara normally looked happy to see me. Especially as of late. I'd come home late, and stay out all day; I worked with Xerses for hours on end with the Restoration project, with my issues. So, when Clara saw me, she grabbed me and held me as if I'd disappear. And each time, I felt horrible; I loved her and never meant to ignore her the way I did.

But, as I looked into her eyes, I didn't see the yearning need for affection. I didn't see my sweet, gullible, kind Clara. The woman in front of me was angry, lips pursed. She pressed her tongue into her cheek as she shook her head.

I gave her a weak smile. "Doll, I—"

"You know," she bit her lip, "you've kept me so far out of this loop you and X have that neither of you told me Polk was back."

I straightened. Was it wrong that I'd forgotten, that Clara of all people, would be able to recognize Polk a mile away? Yes, it was. Could I forgive myself? In a way, yes. I'd been so busy, stressed, and lost with time, that it'd slipped my mind. The moments I saw Clara late at night when I got home, I didn't want to tell her what I'd done during the day. It went against the rule we'd made for our sanity:

Don't tell me about your day.

Don't tell me about yours, either.

Don't bring our pains past those doorsteps. Ever.

Chewing on the inside of my cheek, I shook my head. "Clara, what, I—"

"Did you think I wouldn't notice?" Clara moved closer, hands still gripping her arms as she inhaled sharply. Then she lowered her voice. "Did you forget I fought alongside you when the VFs took over? We were always together," she pointed at the two of us with one lazy finger, "you and I were a team. And now you're—"

I couldn't let her be mad. The entire reason we'd establish the rule was to avoid these conversations. We accepted each other's faults and found comfort within the ignorant bliss of our apartment. Was it smart? I always thought it was... until today.

Placing my tablet down on a chair close by, I quickly moved back to her, grabbing her hands in mine. "Clara, listen, we never talked about anything, remember?"