Chapter 8

I couldn't even find my voice quickly enough to start screaming - that's how fast I was falling. In a second I began flipping in the air as well, my legs going backwards and my upper body forwards.

Before I could flip any further and finally start screaming my lungs out, a tail caught me by the waist and broke my fall. Then it threw me up and I ended up facing the gargoyle, my body right in front of him for a moment before I began falling again.

He caught me before that could happen. Not only did I let him pull me to him, but I also wrapped my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist, clinging to him like a sloth to a tree branch.

He smiled, his face a breath away from mine. "There." He sounded awfully content.

"Why did you do that, you jerk!"

I couldn't seem to catch my breath and steady my shaking limbs. Did he interpret all my words literally? By 'right now' I hadn't meant 'drop me immediately while in the middle of the freaking sky'!

"I hope 'jerk' is a term of endearment?" His left arm around my waist got a tighter hold, while his right hand went to rest on my butt. "Of course I would let you go. How else could I change positions? This one is so much better for what I have in mind."

While I was trying to decide what to react to first – his intimate touch or his baffling last words pronounced through another wicked smile - he gave me a third thing to add to the list.

He kissed me. He stole my breath along with my ability to think, attacking my lips with his own.

I tried to pull away at the initial shock, but his tail replaced the arm around my waist and his free hand went at the back of my head. There was no escaping the electrifying feel of his lips upon mine now.

Two seconds in and I didn't want to escape. Long-dormant instincts taking over, I melted in his arms and left myself to his gentle exploration.

A light tug at my lower lip. Another at my upper lip. A claiming of them both. A delicate lick at the line where my lips met... Then a sensual dance of his tongue with mine, because I had opened my mouth to him without realizing it.

I had never been kissed like that. Sure, I had been kissed in similar fashion, but it had never felt so good. So scorchingly hot. Heat erupted in my core and spread downward as fast as a flood. My brain shut down. My control over my body went out the window. I was suddenly dough in his hands that he could mold into whatever he wanted, as long as those lips stayed locked with mine and our bodies remained entangled.

Was that me growling in frustration when he broke the kiss?

I saw him smile lopsidedly through my slightly blurred vision. I had actually forgotten to breathe, totally lost in the feel of him.

"Now you know why human females always come willingly to my homecloud and my bedchamber."

He used both his hands and tail to easily switch positions, until I was back in his arms like some damsel in distress. A flushed and aroused damsel.

Before I could come up with a reply - which required me to first remember how to speak - he flapped his wings three times and... landed.

"Welcome to my homecloud, little human."

His words barely registered with me. I was too busy staring and gaping again at... a cloud.