Chapter 28

For the first time ever, I wished I had huge bat wings. My legs just couldn't run fast enough to the courtyard.

I had to be there when Xan arrived. I had to be the first thing he saw upon landing... so that I could beat the crap out of him for having kept me waiting for 24 hours. For having left me in the first place. One good bitch-slapping was what he fully deserved. The jerk.

When I got outside, I was completely out of breath but I had made it before Xan. I went to stand in the center of the area cleared for landing, my breathing gradually returning to normal.

There was nothing normal about my racing heart, though, and anxiousness kept my stomach tied in a knot. I rubbed my sweaty palms against my naked hips, only now realizing I was still dressed in my queenly drapes. So much for changing clothes before Xan's return–

To hell with my clothes, Xan was coming! His loincloth shone like gold in the sunlight when he appeared above the palace walls, several gargoyles flying by his side.

He was truly back!

My breathing became erratic again. My hands and feet went cold. The knot in my stomach burst into a flock of butterflies. I felt light-headed, nearly dizzy, and wobbly in the knees. Tears filled my eyes at the same time as a huge smile split my face. Even the realization that each of these sensations was listed on the Mating Bond Scroll under Reunion with Mate (Short-term Separation Scenario): Be Prepared For, couldn't wipe that silly smile off my face.

Xan had returned!

He wasn't smiling while he and his soldiers were descending. His dark-blue eyes were fixed on me with such intensity that, had I not known gargoyles didn't eat humans, I would expect to be devoured. A smart creature would be running for its life at the sight of such a hungry-looking predator approaching.

I kept smiling and felt heat bloom in my core.

Xan landed, took the two steps separating us in a heartbeat and... wrapped me in his arms, tail and wings.

The whole world around me disappeared in semi-darkness. Within those wings, warmth and silence engulfed me. I couldn't see his face but I didn't have to: in no more than a second, Xan's mouth found mine.

The kiss was hard, demanding and so deep that I felt his fangs on my lips. I wrapped my arms behind his back and turned our kiss into a French one, my tongue dancing along with his and even across his deadly canines. The only reason why at some point our lips parted was because we both needed oxygen.

"Anima," he murmured against my lips, his forehead resting on mine. He brushed away the tears I hadn't realized were rolling down my face. "Anima... My little blessing..."

I pressed my cheek against his chest. He was warm, his heart was beating strong and fast under my ear, his embrace was fierce... He was alive. He was here. Nothing else mattered in this moment.

Okay, maybe just one other thing. "Is Zombie 007 dead?"

"Yes." There was no mistaking the pride in that single word. "We bring you his head."

"Good," I said just as proudly, my gaze locked with his again.

He passed a clawed thumb over my lower lip then unfolded his wings.

The light returned and with it, the reminder that we weren't alone. The whole courtyard was filled with gargoyles kneeling in a circle around us. How long had they been on their knees? I hoped it hadn't been since Xan's landing.

"Rise, my loyal brethren," Xan said, keeping me in the circle of his arms and tail. Which was good, because I didn't intend to let go of him anytime soon. "Our centuries-old enemy has been defeated! Many fell for this victory, and we will honor them with a feast tomorrow, from dusk till dawn! I shall officially present my mate to you and the whole homecloud then. May it be a victory and mating celebration like no other!"

Cheers, roars and wing-flaps accompanied every part of Xan's short speech. I paid no attention to any of those, too engrossed in caressing the chest I was pressed against. Xan was here and he wasn't going anywhere.

Call me sappy, call me weak – right now I didn't care how my behavior made me look. I felt what I felt, whatever the reason. And sometimes you had to go with the flow.

I looked up in search of Xan's gaze. I wanted to let him know exactly what I wanted right now as final proof that he was alive and well.

I found him already looking down at me, just as oblivious to the cheering around us as I was. I swallowed hard at the look in those eyes, because the hunger evident there matched my own.

And mine was all-consuming.

"I will make sure all is arranged, my liege," I heard Samuin say. "You will not be disturbed in the next 24 hours."

Then we were airborne, Xan carrying me bridal style. I rested my head on his shoulder, my nose right above the crook of his neck. I took in his scent. He smelled of male and what I could only describe as gargoyle. Warm, musky, spicy... I wanted to rub myself against him like a cat, to get his scent on me and mine, on him. That was how animalistic he made me feel.

One more bullet point in the Mating Bond Scroll list that I could put a tick next to.

Whatever was happening between us, however you might call our connection, I couldn't fight it. I didn't want to fight it.