Chapter 23

I was a level-headed person. I was known to keep my cool even in situations when everyone else on my community's ruling council lost their temper.

Now I was beating the hell out of a locked door. And yelling profanities at someone who had left the room – and possibly the homecloud - minutes ago. It was only when my palms started burning and a barefoot kick made my entire leg hurt, that I finally realized the door wasn't a good substitute for a punching bag.

"Crap!" With a final slap at the wooden door, I rested my forehead on it, trying to catch my breath and go back to my senses.

What was I doing? Acting dumb, that's what. I was going ape over a jerk who had locked me up for the crime of not wearing a stripper's outfit. Over a smug bat-man who thought he could dictate where I belonged.

So what if bossing others around was part of his job description, and I found his dominance streak hot? So what if he was imposing clothing on me because a gargoyle's queen did not simply walk around the palace in stinky military pants? So what if he was trying to keep me safe, because as a woman and a mate I was precious to him? There was no excusing his behavior, because I'd never agreed to become part of his world and be his queen.

I'd also never asked him to give me multiple orgasms as part of the best sex I had ever had. To call me the missing half of his soul for eternity. To make me feel safe, protected and cherished for the first time in a very long while–

No, no, no, this wasn't me. I wasn't a woman who had one-night stands. I wasn't a woman who fell for a guy over his skills in the bedroom and sweet-talking. And I certainly wasn't an apocalypse survivor who waited around for someone to get her out of a messy situation.

I was a scientist who, when faced with a problem, found a way to solve it. And that was exactly what I would do right now.

I used the sword from last night to cut a large piece of the beautiful green bed sheet. In several minutes I had a dress that could pass as presentable on the beach while also giving me room to run and kick ass.

I passed through the bathroom to do my business – always pee before a mission! – and took one of my hairpins I'd left there yesterday.

Sword in one hand and hairpin in the other, I went to face my first obstacle to freedom.

The lock didn't put as much resistance as the several others I had picked during the post-apocalyptic months of my life. One tell-tale click later, I tightened my grip on the sword handle and swung the door open.

And ended up face to face with Samuin.

"My lady." He bowed lightly, no surprise evident on his blank face.

Meaning he'd been stationed at the door. That was where he remained, blocking my way out.

I could use the sword on him – he would recover from a cut, after all. But something told me that I wouldn't manage to land a single blow. That tail of his swishing behind him suggested he was ready for a move on my part. Then there was his speed that I'd experienced firsthand yesterday. He was going to have me over his shoulder and back into the room before I could put the heavy sword to any use.

"Can I get you anything, my lady?" he asked when I remained silent and immobile for several seconds. "Food? Water? New bed sheets, perhaps?"

"No need, Samuin." Time to abandon my violent Plan A and try my luck with my peaceful but sneaky Plan B. "I don't intend to sleep, and this sheet is the right color for my pale complexion. I wish to take a walk now. Can I pass, please?" Look at me, the very image of calmness.