Chapter 15

Having peed for what felt like a minute, I quickly took off my clothes and sank into the tub with a sigh of utter pleasure.

Though afraid of what awaited me later, I couldn't but enjoy this moment. I could finally wash the whole of me, including my hair. I had kept it tied for at least a week in an attempt to reduce the feel of grime in it. I could splash water all over me like a brown bear fishing in a river, without worrying that a monster would come after me the second I let my guard down. I could just lie in the water, floating on the surface of this big tub, and stare at the stars above. Free of thoughts of death and hunger and survival for the first time in months. I could stay in the water forever...

Only I couldn't. I had to be ready before Xaniban's return, which would be soon.

In confirmation of my expectations, a knock sounded. Samuin's voice reached me through the door while I was scrubbing my arms with a fragrance-free jelly-like soap.

"My lady? It is I."

"Yes?" I stiffened in anticipation of his next words.

"Just letting you know that you have time. My liege told me to inform you he has one more task tonight. After that he will take his bath in the harem so as to leave this one to your pleasure. Once he joins you in his bedchamber, as late as it may be, he will keep his word of bringing you to ecstasy a myriad of times. It will simply happen after the moon reaches its highest point. End of message, my lady."

"I'm sure he used exactly those words," I muttered.

No way could I forget Xaniban's promise made in front of a courtyard of men. Gargoyles, apparently, were pretty open about intimate stuff.

"He did, my lady. I memorize each order my liege gives."

I should also bear in mind that gargoyles had a pretty good hearing.

"Enjoy the night, my lady."

"Of course."

A minute later I was already washing the soap off my body and hair, no longer so enthusiastic about getting perfectly clean. Maybe since he kept insisting on me bathing, Xaniban would be turned off by my non-squeaky-clean body. My unshaven legs and armpits could serve as a deterrent too, since gargoyles, hairless as their bodies were, shouldn't be too enthusiastic at the sight of the jungle my legs were sporting.

I did take a longer time drying myself with a towel, though. Whatever fabric it was made of - cloud cotton? - it was softer than any towel I had ever touched. It had to be magical or something, because my chestnut locks got nearly dry after two swipes only.

I felt like crying when I had to put the towel away and go back into my old clothes. At least the filthy tank top and trousers were yet another line of defense against Xaniban's plans for me.

With this shield of dirt, light stench of unwashed clothes and impressive body hair, I left the safety of the bathroom to find a weapon. As in, a proper one, because my army knife would do as much damage to a gargoyle as a toothpick.

The bedroom was empty, thankfully, and I found it slightly warmer than before. Was Samuin making sure I didn't catch a cold after my tropical rain bath? Sneezing from a cold during claiming was probably a no-no for the king. The room was now better lit as well, thanks to extra candles on the walls.

I headed to the sword-decorated wall but stopped in my tracks when I passed by the chaise lounge Samuin had mentioned. It was placed halfway between the bathroom and the bed, and faced the so-called balcony door. It was an old-looking piece of furniture with a dark-green and old-gold-yellow fabric cover and wood carvings depicting fruit.