6. The calm before the storm

Eza laughed as he read the note. It's been five days since he's last seen you. You have been exchanging letters via messenger bird ( Asmodeus ), but it's not the same as sitting down and listening to you talk. He smiled as he folded your note and put it in one of his desk's drawers. He sighed and rested his head on his hand. He stared down at the papers scattered across his desk. He's been busy trying to negate the requests of Cronus's nobles, yet they were relentlessly trying to convince him to start taxing commoners again. He picked up his pen, dipped it in the ink pot, and began to write.

Countess Bich,

Those who wish to gouge my people of their funds will have their eyes gouged out. If you do not own eyes, you would not need to spend money on indulgences. You will also have your fingers cut off. You'll not need expensive rings if you do not own fingers.

R. Eza Azzor

He stopped writing and folded the paper, sliding it into an envelope, " Claude." he began to speak as he poured a small amount of wax on the letter before stamping it, " Deliver this to Countess Bich." The old butler nodded and accepted the letter before walking off.

Eza stared at his desk, his mind wandering to you. He stood up and leaned against the window. " I wonder how she's holding up." he gazed at the sky and observed as the clouds slowly moved. Eza was conflicted. He couldn't explain how he felt about you. When he's with you, he can feel his stress and worries melt away. He can laugh and have genuine conversations with you. Even though he's a monster, you treated him as if he wasn't. You weren't afraid of him. And you seemed to enjoy his company even if you acted as if you didn't.

Eza held his hand up to his heart. He could feel his heart beating rapidly, " Damn it.." he cursed under his breath and covered his face with his arm. " She must've put me under a spell," he said while chuckling softly.

-

Before Asmo could knock, you swung the door open and grabbed the basket from him, scaring the hell out of him in the process. You hastily walk to the kitchen, forgetting to close the door, and set the basket on the table. Asmo stood in the doorway, confused, as he watched you struggle to open the letter.

For the past three days, he's been (a messenger bird) delivering letters and baskets of foodstuff to you. He scratches his neck and then reaches for the door knob. You suddenly shout," Wait!" Causing him to freeze up. You set the unopen letter down and grab two small boxes and a letter. You then walk up to him and smile, " Here! this one is for you." You say as you set a white box with a pink ribbon in his left hand,

"And this is for Eza!" you set the other box and the letter in his other hand. It was a black box with a golden ribbon tied around it. He blinked and opened his mouth to speak, only for you to blurt out a hasty, "Okay, bye, thank you, and you're welcome!" you then slammed the door shut in his face. He stared at the doorway dumbfounded. He then looked down at the small white box in his hand and grumbled, " Humans are weird. " While walking away from the cabin. He decided to open the box you gave to him. He was surprised to see a strawberry cupcake wrapped delicately in a pink-colored cloth. He stared at it wearily before picking it up and taking a small bite. His eyes widened, and he took another bite out of the cupcake. The taste was almost heavenly (haha), the cake was soft and spongey, and the frosting melted in his mouth. He plopped the last piece of cupcake in his mouth, then blushed in embarrassment. He pulled out a pale pink hanker chief with a cat embroidered on its corner and wiped off his face. He looked like a fool, but luckily no one was there to watch. He closed the box and whisked it away using magic. He glanced back at the cabin and huffed, his opinion of you veering.

-

You sat on the floor, flustered. You decided out of boredom to bake, and you ended up baking more than you could eat. So you decided to give some to Asmodeus and Eza. You groaned in embarrassment as you recalled how you acted with Asmodeus. You'd been getting antsy lately since you hadn't talked to anyone in days. You suddenly remembered the letter you were struggling to open earlier and stood up to get it. You grabbed it, then slunk back onto the ground while picking at the stamp. You finally manage to open it, and you pull the letter out.

Dear [Name],

I did not know that you could fracture a rib while sneezing. You, humans, are more fragile than I thought. I should be able to visit you tomorrow. I also have a gift for you. I can't wait to see your face when I give it to you.

Your's Truly

-Eza Azzor ❤

You took notice of the small heart he drew and smiled. It felt endearing to you. You laughed softly and sat up off the floor. You opened the basket and started thinking of what to cook while humming.

You were completely unaware of the predatory eyes glaring holes into your back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[A/N:You can never have good things~ But sorry for the shorter chapter! I was a bit tired when i wrote this.]