7. Little Grey Wolf

Darkness was all you could see. The faint sound of laughter rang in your ears. You tried to find where it originated. But it surrounded you as if mocking you. You stepped forward with slight hesitance, your balance faltering as you tried to walk straight.

The laughter grew louder as you slowly made your way forward, trying to find an exit or anything to get you out of this place. You continued to walk for what felt like hours until your feet landed on something wet.

Water?

You knelt and swept your hand across the ground. The liquid was warm, and it was too thick to be water. You lifted your damp hand to your face and sniffed it. A metallic smell singed your nose.

You cringed and tore your hand away from your face. As you shook your hand, trying to rid it of the strange fluid, you realized that the laughter had ceased.

A feeling of dread crept up your gut, and you froze.

Something felt off. You sat in the quiet. The only sound your ears could pick up was your breathing. You slowly stood up and stepped away from the puddle. Goosebumps slowly crawled up your skin. You could feel somebody, no, something staring at you in the darkness.

The silence around you was deafening. It felt like it was prying at your brain, mocking you for thinking something else was present. The sound of soft humming started. There was no originating point from where it came, just like the laughter. The humming was soft. The humming stopped, and a woman started to sing,

"Sleep, sleep, sleep-"

The lyrics were in a different language, one you heard long ago, from your years on earth.

"Don't lie too close to the edge of the bed,"

you felt as if you were in a daze. Your body moved on its own.

"Or little grey wolf will come-"

Your feet entered the body of water again, the liquid slowly creeping up your ankles as you traveled forwards.

"And grab you by the flank-"

You stopped moving. The water was up to your elbows. The feeling of something wrapping around your ankle snapped you out of your daze.

"Drag you into the woods-"

The thing wrapped around your leg yanked you forward, causing you to lose balance. Your head dragged under the liquid, and a sickening metallic taste coated your tongue as you gasped in panic.

"Underneath the willow root."

You struggled against whatever wrapped around your leg. Your mind was slowly becoming hazy due to the lack of oxygen. You could still hear the singing, even throughout your struggle.

"Sleep, sleep, sleep."

You started to lose consciousness, and your body grew tired from thrashing around. You began to blackout, the world around you quiet as the woman's voice silenced.

The feeling of something wrapping around your arm jolted you out of your stupor slightly,

"[name]"

The same voice from before spoke,

"[name], wake up."

The voice started to distort, sounding scratchier,

" [NAME] WAKE UP"

The voice screeched in your ears.

-

You sat up in alarm, your body covered in sweat. A sudden wave of pain washed over your head, and you reached up to hold it. Your head felt wet, your hands curled in your hair, nails scraping against your scalp. You slowly stood up, your free hand clumsily grabbing the table next to you.

You slowly lifted yourself from the floor, feeling lightheaded as you did. Your hand unfurled from your hair, and as you lowered it, you could see a familiar red liquid coating your hand. Your eyes trailed up from your hand to the room around you.

The room was demolished. Glass from the window covered the floor. Pots and pans were scattered across the floor, multiple drawers littered the ground, and cabinets were torn off their hinges. Chairs flipped onto their sides, and some of them were missing legs.

You sluggishly made your way toward the bedroom door, leaning against anything you could for balance. A loud guttural snarl sounded behind you, and you stopped in your tracks. The sound of nails scrapping wooded flooring grew louder as whatever broke into your house neared you.

You pushed yourself up from the wall and darted to the door in front of you. You stumbled a bit and grabbed onto the door knob swinging it open. With the momentum from opening the door, you turned on your heels and slammed the door shut. A loud thud came from the other side, and the door shook violently. You let out a shaky breath and slowly backed away from the door.

Your mind quickly threw together a half-hazard plan, and you yanked the blankets off the bed. The beast kept slamming itself against the door. Eventually, the wood splintered, and the door gave in. The beast stepped into the room, and you got a good look at it. It was a wolf, yet it was massive compared to a normal wolf. It had long silver fur and vibrant red eyes.

Its snout was wrinkled, a pair of razor-sharp teeth baring at you viciously. You backed away from it slowly and kept eye contact with it. Your back hit the closet, and you let out a small curse. The wolf seemed to notice that you were corned and lunged at you, only to be met with a blanket in its face.

You threw the blanket in its face before kicking it where you thought its muzzle was. It let out a loud whimper and stumbled around, trying to free itself from the fabric. You took your moment of confusion and opened the closet, ripping out the pole where clothing items hung.

You didn't waste a second before swinging the pole down on the blanket-covered wolf. It let out a pained whimper and fell over. You stared at it, and it tried to sit up again. And you swung at it again.

It slowly got up, and you raised the pole above your head. But before you could bash the wolf's brain in, a voice stopped you." Wait- wait, please-" a violent cough interrupted it, "please stop."

.

.

.

.

The wolf was speaking.

A/N:Hihi!! I'm bk guys~ hopes ya didn't miss me too much. Sorry for the delay in updates. I was rlly busy with stuff at home so tht rlly distracted me. But i cranked this bad boy out, and now it's time for me to go to bed. I rlly stayed up three hours tryna write something good for you all =^^=.