17. Conflicts (2)

Next week the principal announced that there would be a trial exam before their semester study starts for the highschool senior students. Everyone had done their preparation very well with their own partners. But James was same as before. He couldn't focus in his study because he was missing his best friend. Their funny fight and banters were coming into his mind. He barely cooperated with Jessica who was trying her best to get along with him.

Their exam got over and the results came out after few days. Everyone were eager to know about their level of mindset before their final two semesters in that results. He didn't even go to check his results in the notice board. He was laying his head on the desk closing his eyes when Nate came to him. " Hey Rogers?" He looked up to him. " You know what's your rank?"

He shook his head, but got confused as he saw others were looking at him weirdly. He knew he might have scored very poor but the way he's getting the pity staring, it made him angry. He looked at Nate," What is it?"

He shook his head," Go see that yourself. " And walked away.

James shighed and walked out of the class room ignoring the same unpleasant stares from other students. He stood in front of the notice board. He wasn't in between top ten rankings. Not in twenty, not in forty, not in fifty, not even in between eighty. He was in 91st rank. Out of total 140 students in the senior year, he was in 91st. And as always, Morgan was in top five. She got third, her new semester partner, Liam, got first. Jessica was in eighth and Nate was in fifteenth.

He laughed a little and walked back to his desk. Somehow he spent the whole day and walked out of his class room when school got over. At the end of the exit corridor he heard someone saying," So that's how he was getting good ranks in all the other semesters. "

He decided to ignore it. Someone else said," I heard he used to copy from Morgan's answer sheet. That's why he had been in top ten. Now see, how honestly he was getting good marks. " He knew they were saying so that he would hear.

Someone else shouted from his behind," Cheater!!" And few more laughed.

" Is he really your best friend?", He heard it and turned around. Jessica was standing in front of Morgan and glaring at her. They were out of school boundary now. Jessica looked around her who were gossiping about him. Then she looked at Morgan again," You're listening silently when they're talking crap about your so called best friend !! Did he ever copy from your answers ? "

Others started to leave as she glared at them. Morgan kept quiet. James behaved so cold towards her since last few weeks. So she also didn't approach him. He wasn't even talking to her. Just answering yes or no. Obviously she felt bad when other students were saying nonsense about him. But she decided not to say anything. If he was mad at her then so be it. She won't even respond him.

Sarah, Stefan, Bryan, Joseph and Merry walked up to them and noticed the tense atmosphere. Jessica looked at James," We need to talk. Come with me. " And she walked ahead where Jane was waiting in her car.

James looked at his friends and nodded them to leave in their usual van. They walked into it as Clint opened the door for them. Morgan climbed in at the end and looked at him. She felt like crying. She didn't know why. Her best friend was going away from her. She hoped maybe James would come to her and talk to her, then everything would be normal. But they're drifting away further. Their van moved away as James walked at Jane's car.

They stopped at a cafe and Jane left James and Jessica alone so that they can talk. Jessica shighed then started," I know you're upset since we've been paired, still I tried to get along with you. Because...I wanted to make some friends. I didn't have any friend because I'm high tempered. As you saw earlier outside the school...so tell me, why would anyone like me? You know why my mom and I ain't very close to your families?"

He nodded slowly," I asked my dad about it once. He said, people see us as normal humans doesn't matter if we're children of superheroes. But you're, daughter of a God. So they'll make a fuss about it. They won't care if it hurts you, they'll try to make you feel like some alien. That's why. "

She nodded with a smile," He's right. That's why we moved to Europe, we just got back here five years ago and I joined this school. " She showed her hand, a silver like material was on her finger. It's a ring. " Because of this I'm living like a normal human. This ring holds back my power which I got from my dad. I can summon thunder. "

They chuckled on this. He was wrong about her. She was a nice person who didn't have more friendly people around her. And he really felt bad as he behaved since last few weeks. " Actually...I kind of..I mean...I...like Morgan. I've a huge crush on her, since ninth grade. "

She smiled ," How can you talk to a girl about your crush on another girl? Don't you think I may feel bad?"

He also smiled and sipped his coffee," We're friends, so I think we can talk without any hesitation. "

She was surprised for a moment then smiled," We're friends now?" He nodded at her with a smile. " Okay. Have you ever thought about telling her?"

He nodded ," I thought I should wait, till our highschool ends. Besides, we're just seventeen. Think I've enough time."

She looked at him with a smile," So, when she picked someone else as her partner, you felt like it's a breakup?"

He shook his head with a smile," I won't say that exactly. I sounds like a heartbroken lover. It's just...were so used to each other, that's why it felt like we're falling apart. But talking to you I realized, I was being unreasonable. That's why this pairing system works in school, for improvement in our necessary subjects. Heard you're good in maths? You should help me out. "

She held her hand out for a shake," Okay I'll try my best, you also have to help me in biology and computer science. "

He shook his hand with her then Jane walked up to them. " So you guys shorted out your issues?" And sat across them.

James shook his head with a smile," There wasn't any issue aunty. I just didn't perform well in this exam, so I needed to talk to her. "

They stood up and Jane picked her purse," Let's go, I should drop you. " He nodded and three of them headed to her car.

They stopped in front of Rogers house, James climbed off of the car and looked at Jane and Jessica," Aunty, Jess, please come inside and meet mom and dad for sometime. "

Jane smiled at him," Maybe some other time James. I've to visit my office for a bit."

Jessica waved his hand as goodbye," We'll stop by next time." He also said goodbye and walked at his house. 

           -------------------------------------
Hope they'll short their issue out very soon.