18. Jealousy

After the weekend break it's school time again. The break day really helped James to settle his mind. He realized that why he was disappointed as Morgan got another partner. Because she was his best friend and crush from childhood, and he likes her so much. So he didn't need to be insecure about his place in her life. It's just for a semester they would be separate. That too just in school, after school they would be best friends again.

So he decided to talk to her sometime and and end this stupid ego fight. He got ready for school and climbed inside the van with Sarah. When they reached at Morgan's stop, James nodded her to sit next to him and she did so. She opened her book but couldn't focus in it. She shighed then turned at him," Where did you go the other day? With her?"

He looked at her then nodded," With Jessica? To a cafe nearby. " She wanted to ask more but choose not to. James understood and smiled," Why did I? For nothing. We just talked and became friends. " She just raised her eyebrows but looked at her book again.

They arrived at school and went on in their classes. At lunch break, all of them gathered at their usual table but James frowned as he saw a new member had joined thier table, who was sitting beside Morgan. Liam. He shighed but didn't say anything and silently sat at the end of the table, he usually sits beside her but today someone else had gotten his place.

Others seemed unaffected by joining of someone who wasn't even in thier friend circle. They were talking with him like they welcomed him happily. He was about to start eating, someone tapped on his shoulder. He looked back and it was Jessica. She smiled at them," Hey, can I join you guys? "

Before he could reply, Morgan said first," Sorry, we don't have enough room in this table. You can take another one. " And gestured to the other table.

Her face dropped and she nodded, she was about to leave but James held her hand," Wait. We can arrange a chair for her here. We can't just refuse this openly, rather rudely, to a friend. " He got up and brought a chair and set that up for Jessica. She smiled and took the seat.

He looked around him to find others looking at him weirdly. Morgan was looking down to her plate. He wanted things to go back to normal, but seems like it wouldn't be easy. Merry narrowed her eyes at Jessica," Heard you didn't like to hang out with us? Then how come you're here?"

She looked down sadly, before James could say something, Bryan interrupted," Even I heard it too. You talk bad about my sister also."

Jessica responded instantly," I've never done that!"

Sarah stepped in it too," See? That's why no one wants to be friends with you. You gets angry easily and yells at them even in small things. "

James snapped at her," Sarah!!" She wanted snap back but his glare was enough to keep her quiet. He shighed and stood up," I've never expected it from you guys. " Then looked at Jessica who sat there on the verge of crying. " Let's go to some other table. We'll have a discussion about plant cells after lunch." She nodded and left with him to another table beside it.

They had their lunch silently and went back to study. After school James said goodbye to Jessica and walked towards their van. Morgan also walking behind him. He stopped and held her hand to stop her as well. " What was that? Why did you behave that way earlier?"

She shoved his hand away," You seriously interrogating me for her? Now you're defending your girlfriend before me?"

He shook his head with a laugh," What? Girlfriend?"

He rolled her eyes," What's so funny? You were on a date that day. You fought with us for her. Isn't it enough evidence?"

He smiled then looked at her," You know why she and aunt Jane ain't close to our families?" She became silent then nodded. " Still you rudely refused on her face and said go away? Was it reasonable? After knowing very well about why she's very distant from us?"

She made a pout," it's just..you spends more time with her nowadays and...not talking to me. "

He huffed a little," Everything can't be about her. She's my semester partner just like that...Liam is yours. But you let him join easily in our table while coldly denied to Jessica? How's it fair?"

She shook her head," I didn't! He asked me if he can join so I couldn't...", She shighed. " Okay...I'll say sorry to her tomorrow. How many times?"

He chuckled shaking his head," You don't need to. Just be a little friendly with her. You know thier life is not so normal like ours. And she's NOT my girlfriend. She just wanna be a friend to all of us. Can you do it?" She nodded slowly.

Nate yelled from inside the van," Hey, if your domestic quarrel is over we should go now!" Clint laughed loudly. James and Morgan laughed and went inside the van and they drove off.

When they reached home James called Sarah as she was about to go into her room. She looked at him. " Why did you say that her?"

Steve and Natasha appeared in the hall. " What is it Jamey?" She approached him.

James looked at Sarah then at Natasha," She said something very rude to Jessica."

" Jessica? You mean Jane's daughter?" She asked to confirm. He nodded. " What did she say?" And she looked at Sarah.

" Jessica is not very friendly with others, she has her own reason. This time she's my semester partner, so she wants to be friends with us. She joined us today for lunch, and first Merry said she never liked to hang out with us, then Bryan joined in this. At the end Sarah also said she that gets very angry easily that's why no one wants to be friends with her. She was about to cry there. " He explained everything.

" Okay, calm down. She's wrong but it's not her fault. She didn't know. " Steve walked up to Sarah and sat on the couch and sat her on his lap. " You know how powerful your uncle Thor is right?"

She nodded ," Yeah, he's god of thunder."

Steve hummed softly," And Jessica is his daughter. So she also has a small part of his power in her. If people comes to know it, they'll make her uncomfortable. People may get scared of her. That's why she stays away from us with her mother and pretends like she's just a normal girl like you. So basically, she's also a part of our family. You shouldn't be rude to her. So tomorrow, you'll apologize to her at first. "

She nodded obediently then looked at her brother. " I'm sorry. I thought because of her you and Morgan are not talking. " And walked to her room.

Steve and Natasha looked at him instantly," What?! You're not talking to each other? "

He shook his head," It's not like that. I was just a little upset because she chose someone else as her partner..in this semester. "

Natasha smiled at him," And...why do you think she should have chosen you instead?"

He shighed then avoided eye contact with his parents," Because, I like her. " And rushed to his room.

Steve looked at Natasha and laughed," He's so blunt like you. "

She smiled and hugged him," Well, he's my son, so obviously. "