Section 1 - Peter's Journey: Chapter 1 - Sadness and Surprises

(Author's Note: After recently re-watching the movies Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe and then Prince Caspian, I was intrigued with Peter's character. How would he deal with his experiences back in the real world? This story takes place in the Spring of 1942 at the boarding schools. It follows C.S. Lewis' ages for the characters. Peter, age 15; Susan, age 14; Edmund, age 12; and Lucy, age 10. The new character, April, is age 16. The story would only leave my head once it was written down. This is my first fan fiction and my very first story. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed the writing of it. And, more is to come.

Reviews are welcome. Thank you!)

Peter briefly closed his eyes, maybe if he concentrated hard enough... He sighed and opened his eyes. There was no use in trying. He was not in Narnia, it was the same old dining hall at Hendon House Boarding School. Nice as far as dining halls go, cherry stained paneling and crystal chandeliers, but not the beautiful landscape of Narnia that he missed so much. And, the landscape he would never see again.

The past eight months had been difficult since arriving back in the train station. He spent most of the fall in shock, the winter in depression, and now that spring was here... who knew? He was a king, right? He had been one for over fifteen years! That he had been given the opportunity to go back and help Caspian should have made a difference, but it didn't. It also didn't help that the last time he was in Narnia he had let his pride get in the way. He was still trying to cope with the choices he made there. And now, Narnia was gone for him, forever!

He could not reconcile his experiences in Narnia with the boring day to day life at this school. Once he had been in charge of kingdoms, of armies, a true leader. Here he was fifteen years old and the only decision he got to make was what food to put on his tray. It was no wonder that he wanted to be left alone. And, after winning the last few fist fights, most of the students just let him be.

Sometimes Edmund sat with him, but he had his own set of friends and had in most ways given up on trying to draw him out. It was easier for Ed, he was younger and did not have the sense of responsibility that was Peter's nature. Susan and Lucy had their friends too. They would smile and wave at him and then move on laughing and joking. That was it, they had all moved on, but not him.

He supposed the recent construction on the dining hall of the Saint Finbar's School for Girls across the street, should have lifted his spirits since the room was overflowing with females at every meal. They were curious about him. His tall physique, blond hair, and striking blue eyes drew many admiring glances. But, he really could care less.

"How can I help?" asked Lucy when she came and ate with him one day.

"I don't know Lu. It's so confusing. How can I be one person there and a different one here?"

Lucy touched his arm and lowered her voice, "You are the same person Peter. Look inside yourself and see the king that you were. That brave, compassionate, diplomatic, generous person is still you. Try to incorporate all of those traits into who you are here. Don't let what happened there be a barrier to you, let it help you."

"How did you get to be so wise?" he teased.

"I learned it from you and Aslan," she said simply. "We miss you Peter."

As she walked away Peter thought about what she said. It was wise. He would have to stop avoiding those painful memories and try to deal with them. Aslan! He hadn't thought about him in much too long. He involuntary breathed a request, "Help me, please!" Maybe that was the key to becoming himself again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was on such a day surrounded by his introspective thoughts that a voice nearby startled him.