Section 3 - Their Future Together: Chapter 1 - Future and Past

Peter was helping April's father with the chores on this final morning. He was only able to do limited things with his hand still bandaged. He thanked Mr. Treed again for accepting him and allowing him to stay this week.

"Peter, you have proven your worth to me this week as a man and as a suitor for my daughter."

Peter was shocked and surprised and managed a, "thank you sir."

"Speaking of suitors, I am assuming correctly that you are serious about my daughter..."

"Yes," Peter replied, "Very much so, sir. In fact I wanted to ask your permission about a couple of things. My siblings and I always visit my parents' mid-way through each school term. It is just a short train ride to the other side of London. They very much want to meet April. Can she go with us?"

Mr. Treed thought about that and asked a few questions about how long they would be there, who would be in the home, and sleeping arrangements. "Peter, I have trusted you thus far with my daughter, I will trust you again while she is at school and at your home. You must understand that part of being an adult in this world means responsibility. Your feelings for my daughter make you responsible for her well-being both physically, emotionally and in some respects spiritually."

"Since the day I met her, I have felt responsible for her. It is sobering knowing that you and she trust me to care for her. But, feeling as I do, I could not do otherwise. I will try my best to keep that trust."

Mr. Treed nodded then changed the subject. Peter was surprised by the turn of the conversation.

"What are planning to make of your life, Peter?"

Peter blinked, "I thought I would go into business sir, perhaps banking."

"Hmm, that might do, but I think your maturity and skills in working with 'difficult' people," he grinned at this, "might be better served elsewhere."

At Peter's questioning look he said, "Have you thought about being a diplomat or working in parliament? I shouldn't suggest this, since it might mean you would have to travel and probably will take my daughter with you. But, I think that would suit you well."

"Thank you sir, I will consider it. There is something I would wish you to consider, sir. May I make a request of you?"

~~Section Break ~~

April was in the kitchen silently helping her mother fix breakfast. She was indeed grumpy. She hated saying goodbye to her family and she felt the week with Peter ending like a weight on her chest. She sighed. Her mother looked at her strangely.

"April, there is something I have wanted to talk with you about this week, but never found the right moment. I am not sure this is that moment, but I have run out of time. I need you to be very careful around Peter."

"Mother?" asked April, "Whatever do you mean?"

"You and I haven't talked about this, but I know your grandmother did. You and he are very close and yet you are so young, I just don't want you getting closer than you should and do something you might regret," Miranda said haltingly.

"Mom," April said, exasperated, "Grandmother covered all this, too much sometimes. And, Peter and I have already talked. You have nothing to worry about." April started setting the table more forcefully than normal, her annoyance showing.

"You and Peter have discussed this? That is not appropriate!" scolded her mother.

April checked on Elisa, she was playing with her paper dolls in the living area. She lowered her voice and said pointedly, "If we are not supposed to be doing something, how do we not do it, by NOT talking about it?"