Section 3 - Their Future Together: Chapter 2 - The Prison, aka School Days

It was late when the train pulled into the Finchley station. April was worried that they wouldn't be able to get into the gates. Peter reminded her that they knew where they were and probably knew about the train's delay. When they came out of the station, he was just about to take her hand when he saw Mr. Thomison, the headmaster talking with a very cross older looking lady.

"Sir," he said, "Are you here to meet us? The train had a delay and we will need to get into the gates."

The adults turned to them. The headmaster, with sympathy and understanding in his eyes, asked, "Peter Pevensie? April Treed?"

They nodded.

The lady spoke harshly. "I cannot believe you two went away unchaperoned! Well, that won't happen again, not while I'm here!"

Peter's eyes flashed with anger, but he said as respectfully as he could, "I beg your pardon, madam, but we are not sure who you are."

"Why, I am Mrs. Cromby, the new headmistress of Saint Finbar's. And you, young man, will mind your manners and speak respectfully in the presence of your elders. It is late, we must get you back to the schools."

While they walked Mrs. Cromby expounded on her theme of how life was going to be different now that she was in charge."

"The gates will be closed at 8:00 and not 10:00p.m. There will be no day passes to that place you all call 'the pond' and very rarely into town. Common areas will be closed and visiting in the dormitory lobbies limited. We are going to make sure the students behave themselves and don't get into any more trouble. There will be expanded clubs and extracurricular activities to give the students something constructive to do rather than mill about flirting and fraternizing with each other."

April, rather bravely, broke in and asked, "Will they be expanding the dance program?"

Mrs. Cromby turned to her and almost attacked her with words. It was all Peter could do not to lurch over both adults and defend April. He might have if Mr. Thomison had not put a warning hand on his arm.

"Dance program? Do you mean that ballet program they have? What an abomination. No girls of mine will be up on a stage scantily dressed flaunting their bodies around for everyone to see. No! The dance program has been discontinued and the final spring performance cancelled."

"Oh," April cried, "But we have worked so hard and the costumes are beautiful and very modest..."

She was rudely cut off, "April, April Treed? You are that ballerina they told me about. Well, good thing I got to tell you. Maybe I will just save your soul a bit more. Dancing! Humph!"

Peter could feel April's pain from three feet away. It was as tangible as the cool night breeze on his face. How dare this woman. She was breaking April's heart. And, if there was no dance program, there would be no school here for April in the fall. He had to do something. But, they had reached the gates and April was being herded over and through the opening. Saint Finbar's gate slammed as if it were locking April into a prison, and perhaps it was.

~~Section Break ~~

April couldn't help the tears that were running down her face. She had ran away from that horrible woman as soon as possible. Lucy and Susan were waiting in her room looking very worried. They hugged her and started asking questions. Why were they late? Was Peter okay? Why was she crying? By the time she was able to tell it all, they were speechless and very sympathetic about the dance program. Only when they finally got around to asking how the week went, did the clouds on April's face part and a smile break through. April was only able to share just couple of details when the call came for lights out. She got ready for bed in the dark and then cried herself to sleep. Who knew when she was going to see Peter again?