Section 2 - The Knowledge of April: Chapter 4 - The Grove

Peter and April were shy around each other the next morning. Miranda looked at them curiously and then made sure her husband hadn't noticed anything unusual. He seemed fine, much happier since Peter had been helping him with the chores both morning and evening. She wondered what had happened, but wouldn't dare ask.

"So, what are you kids doing today?"

April responded, "Today we are going to explore the forest. Mom, I'll pack a picnic so we won't be here for lunch."

"Can you pick me up at school?" piped Elisa excitedly. "I told everyone there was a blond giant living at my house, but no one believed me."

Everyone laughed. Peter said, "We'll be happy to, is it close by?"

"We'll be there, Ellie," April said, using her pet name for Elisa.

~~Section Break ~~

April knew Peter was beyond excited for this day. She, on the other hand, was more nervous than she had ever been for any stage performance. Her mother, with a knowing smile, had slipped her grandmother's journal into the picnic basket that Peter cheerfully carried. She carried the blanket, hugging it to her chest to keep warm. The pale pink dress she wore was too thin for this cool morning, but it was the one liked best to dance in, the skirt was fuller than most and it flowed well. The day would warm as the sun got higher. Also in the basket were the older ballet shoes that she always wore in the grove. Would she have enough nerve to do it, to show him? Would Peter experience it? Would he follow the rules? What if she discovered something about Peter, about herself, in the journal that she didn't want to know? Maybe ignorance really was bliss...

Peter interrupted her thoughts with a nudge to her arm. "Why are you so quiet? You do want to take me there, right?"

"Of course," she replied. "I'm just nervous."

"Hmmm... well let's take your mind off it. Boy, your sister is funny. What time do we need to pick her up? Is that why you wanted me to wear my watch?"

"We have until 2:00 p.m. We'll have plenty of time." she lapsed into silence again.

They had crossed the stream behind the house and had entered the coolness of the trees. Birds were singing in the distance and flitting about in the upper tree tops. There was a well-worn path under their feet. The air was fresh and the forest smells seemed to surround them.

"I have always felt so at peace in these woods," April said.

"Then, let that peace calm your nerves. Why don't you play tour guide again and tell me about this forest. It's really nice in here."

April began, "The New Forest covers an area of over 550 kilometers (340 miles) and includes one of the largest remaining tracts of unenclosed pasture land, heathland and forest. It was created as a royal forest by William I in about 1079 for the royal hunt, mainly of deer. It was created at the expense of more than 20 small hamlets and isolated farmsteads; thus it was 'new' in his time as a single compact area. It is said that two of his sons and one other relative was killed by natural means in the forest as punishment for his taking the parish churches down and leaving so many people homeless without help or compensation. The Forest's dry heaths, dense woodland, valley bogs and river are home to many wildlife and plants. Ponies, cattle, pigs and deer run free over the area. And, Frederick Marryat in the 1840's wrote the children's novel The Children of the New Forest in our town. With all this and the beach being is less than an hour's auto ride from here, the tourists love it."

"Do the tourists come to this section?" he asked.

"No, this path is worn because of me and my family, and maybe a few other locals. But, there are no tourist sites in this section of forest."