Section 3 - Their Future Together: Chapter 3 - Fun Times

"Happy Birthday!" Peter whispered in April's ear when he hugged her on Saturday. "I have a present for you."

He pulled her over to couch and placed the package in her hands. She was surprised, but pleased too.

As she opened it she gasped and started to cry. "Peter, how did you manage this? I never dreamed! Did you do this when you picked out the thank you gifts for my family?"

"Yes, Madeline helped me with it. That is what I was smiling about but wouldn't tell you while you talked with your friend. You were so preoccupied the day we left you barely noticed that I went over and picked it up. Madeline said she has kept at least one of those in stock for years just for you."

She opened the small jewelry box and listened to the tinkling music. Her eyes welled with tears again, "I love it, thank you so much."

She looked up at him. He caught her chin and stared into her eyes. He leaned closer, she thought he was going to kiss her but instead he said in a very low voice, "I had hoped to have something to put in the box, but we will have to wait a bit on that."

Her heart started to race. Did he mean? She looked into his eyes again and he smiled her special smile.

"Happy Birthday!" she heard, breaking into their moment. The shouts came from Edmund, Lucy, and Susan. They were pulling her up and talking all at once. It took her a minute to realize they meant to go into town and they all had passes to go. She ran the music box up to her room.

Just the walk out of the gate and into town was wonderful. They ate at the local diner and then walked around town, just enjoying their freedom. Swing dance music came pouring out of a pavilion that had been set up near the town center. They were intrigued, could they? Should they?

Lucy said, "Yes, lets!"

They stayed near the outskirts of the crowd so they wouldn't get separated and they had a great time. Edmund showed Lucy the steps and danced with her. Susan was soon surrounded by potential dance partners. Peter winked at April and pulled her into the fray before she could even nod. They only had a little time and in the end had to run back to the schools in order to make it back in time. The others shouted one more 'Happy Birthday' to April and ran into the grounds.

Peter stopped April in the shade of a great tree next to the gates. He gathered her in his arms, pulling her very close, and said breathlessly, "Now for one last present, although I am not sure if it is for you or for me..."

~~Section Break ~~

Peter came the next afternoon to visit her. She seemed edgy and nervous.

"Can we go outside?" she asked.

They walked outside to sit on the porch steps. She wished they had more privacy, but this would have to do.

"Peter, I have to ask you something...do you have a scar, right here?" she asked and reached over and touched the back of his left shoulder gently.

"You certainly are good at surprising me lately. I do," he said glancing around. He undid the top couple of buttons on his shirt and slid the shirt over and back so she could see."

She gently touched the thick scar that was about two inches long. He shivered at her touch, then fixed his shirt.

"Now, how did you know that? Another dream?" he asked.

She nodded and bit her lip. "You were in Narnia. There was a balcony off of your chamber at Cair Paravel, it faced the woods and had a gate into the adjoining meadow. It was early morning, the sun had barely risen. You liked to go out there to be alone before your day started. You...um...hadn't dressed for the day yet and your shirt was off. The dryads were active and you were watching them. A birch dryad came before you to say hello. You knew it was a birch because her petals were silver and she was slender, graceful and limber. The beech and larch dryads were shades of green and had different characteristics. She circled around you a few times as if in play and you laughed. She then reached out and touched your scar and made a noise of sympathy. At that moment a centaur approached to ask you about a meeting and she moved away toward the trees. You watched her go wistfully. The centaur commented that she seemed to favor you. You smiled and nodded. You had seen her before, many times, but never had she been bold enough to touch you. I felt what she felt, she was in love with you."