Section 3 - Their Future Together: Chapter 4 - Strange Dangers

Peter took her to the orientation the next day. He wanted to see the University he had chosen which happened to be just a few blocks away from the school/Royal Opera House. He promised to return for the reception that was to be held afterward.

After walking around the campus for a while, he returned to the Ballet school and met a smiling April who was very excited about the new life that would begin in the fall. He wished beyond anything that he would be attending the University right next door. It would be great to be so close to her. After the reception they walked back to the house. She seemed to be moving slower than normal, but it had been an exciting two days for her. When they got into the house, his father called him.

"Peter, come in here for a moment, please."

"Yes, father. April, why don't you go upstairs and rest? You've had a busy day." and he watched her walk up the stairs.

Peter went into his father's study. His father wanted to go over some more details about the summer and the examinations he would be studying for. After he was finished he stepped out into the hallway. His mother was passing by.

"Mom, have you seen April?" At her answer of no, he said, "Would you mind to check her room? I don't think she was feeling well when we returned from the audition, she was warm and a little unsteady on her feet."

Peter milled around downstairs waiting for his mother. She came to him concerned.

"Peter, I can't find her. She is not in her room, the girl's room, or the lavatory."

They began to check the house, Peter was starting to panic. He had been searching the upstairs sitting room when he heard a noise. The door to his and Edmund's room was closed as usual. He doubted his mom had thought to look in there. He opened the door slowly. The sight that met his eyes shocked him more than anything he had seen. April's clothes were in a pile on the floor. April, wearing only one of his t-shirts, left from last night, was asleep in his bed. She was lying on her side but her torso was turned so that her head lay face up. Her blond hair fanned out across his pillow and her arms were raised above her head. The shirt came just over the top of her thigh. It was the most provocative thing he had ever seen.

He stood in shock staring for a moment and then reached down and drew the sheet over her. She was completely covered, but he still felt the need to preserve her modesty. She must have felt the difference in her sleep because she moaned and then curled up onto her side like a little girl. He shook his head in disbelief. At that moment his mother appeared next to him.

"Oh, you found her! What happened? Why is she in here?"

Peter leaned down and put his nose near April's mouth. Alcohol? Where had she gotten alcohol? He had been with her for most of the day. He motioned for his mother to smell.

"Whisky," she whispered.

He pulled her out into the hall and closed the door. "I found her like this mom. Where could she have drank whisky?"

And then it hit him. The reception after the audition! One of the older male dancers had come up to her and offered her a glass of punch and was talking with her. Peter had been a little ways away talking to an old friend, but had come to her side immediately. There was something about the look in the man's eyes that had set off his warning instincts. The man left soon after introductions were made. April had said the punch tasted different and it made her feel warm. She asked him to try it, but he had declined.

The punch had been spiked with alcohol, but why? And, was it just her punch or all of it? The thought was disconcerting and made him feel very protective and a bit panicky. He would have to watch over her carefully, but how could he if he was at Hendon? He relayed all this to his mom, who was concerned as well.