Section 2 - The Knowledge of April: CHAPTER 1 - Spring Formal

Author's Note: During these chapters Peter and April develop their relationship further and Peter begins to discovers the Narnian secrets at April's home. Included are historical and factual references to some of the places and scenery. They may have been adapted somehat to fit the story line.

Lucy skipped into April's room and stopped short when she saw her. Standing in front of a full length mirror April was smoothing the front of her dress.

"Ohhh, April. You are very beautiful!" she breathed.

April turned to Lucy with a wobbly smile, "do you think so?"

"Peter is going to be speechless when he sees you! The dress turned out so nice."

It was the evening of the annual Spring Formal Dance that both schools hosted together. Susan had graciously offered April one of her older gowns for the occasion. It was lavender which they all agreed needed to be green. Lucy helped April die the dress to a light shade of forest green. The threading around the beads drew up more die that the rest of the fabric giving darker green accents around them. The dress matched her eyes perfectly.

The sleeves of the dress were a type of tulle with beading that came from the base of her neck to over and around the top of her arm forming short translucent caps. The bodice was tight against her body and overlaid with the beaded tulle. It fit lower that she had ever worn before, and she touched her chest a bit self-consciously. The skirt was full and had a layer of beaded tulle stretching down the skirt and sweeping off to one side. It was the most beautiful dress she had ever seen, much less worn.

April's blond hair was piled on top her head with curls. Small wisps had been pulled out to soften the effect around her face and it suited her perfectly. Her eyes were shining like emeralds and she wore a slight bit of makeup, just enough to set off her naturally rosy cheeks and flawless complexion.

Just then they called April's name. Peter was here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'll run down and tell him you are coming," said Lucy and she took off like a shot.

Lucy was a dear. April loved her almost as much as her younger sister Elisa with was eight years old. Lucy was only ten, but she had a wisdom far beyond her years, due to reigning as a Queen of Narnia. It was an amazing thought. Then her thoughts turned to the butterflies that were flitting about in her stomach. When she reminded herself that she had two very important questions to be answered by Peter tonight, they started to fit more furiously.

At the top of the stairs she stopped. There was Peter waiting for her at the bottom looking more handsome that she had ever seen or imagined him to be. He wore a traditional black tuxedo with short coat and long tails. His bow tie and vest were a light cream color and the suit fit his tall broad physique perfectly. But, when she saw the look on his face, she was amused....he was indeed speechless! Then he started to smile the broad smile that he seemed to keep only for her. With an answered special smile of her own she slowly descended the stairs.

As she reached him, he bowed. There were giggles behind them as the younger girls, not yet able to attend the event, watched the older students. Still bowing, he took her hand and kissed it. They giggled louder when she curtsied to him.

"You are stunningly beautiful," he said in a low voice.

"And you are most handsome," she replied.

He pulled out a wrist corsage and tied the ribbon onto her delicate arm. As he held out his arm she tucked her hand at his elbow.

"Peter! April! Have a wonderful time!" Lucy called.

They waved at her. To Lucy it seemed that they floated down the porch stairs and out into the night. She sighed, it would be her turn one day. Right now she was too young. She grinned at that thought. Peter was actually too young too. April was in her 11th year and Peter in his 10th. Only year 11 and year 12 students were allowed to attend. She liked to give him a hard time about dating an "older" woman.