Chapter 4 - The Bitter Cold

'Something about this chill feels familiar,' Kyrin exhaled a puff of mist as the temperatures dropped. 'It couldn't be... right?'

"Kyrin, Control Center has received reports of frostbite injuries and abnormally low temperatures, please proceed with caution," Kal'tsit warned through the radio. "Be sure to keep an eye on Amiya's rings while you're at it, Doctor."

"Yes ma'am." scoffed the Doctor in a slightly annoyed tone, which brought a wry smile to Kyrin's face despite the dire situation. It reminded him of the past, not that it matters anymore. "Kyrin, you take command, for now, I need to keep track of the terrain."

"Will do, Doctor." The Sarkaz removed his grin, regaining his serious expression. "Everyone, watch out for those explosive slugs!" Slicing a slight cut on his forearm, he summoned his blood tendrils to deal with the volatile Infected creatures. The crimson tips punctured the prosomas of each slug before concealing them in orbs of blood, enclosing the explosions before they even fully expanded.

"Yes sir!" Cried the other operators as they got to work clearing away the explosive arthropods. It didn't take long for familiar white masks to start emerging from the ruins.

"Reunion!" Alarmed a medic operator from the rear.

"It's an ambush! Vanguards and Guards, block off enemy advances immediately! Medics! Tend to the wounded from the rear." The Doctor was quick to take charge, lifting their gloved hand towards the Infected insurgents. "Ranged operators, give them hell!"

"Rhodes Island, our retreat has been cut off. But we're not here to run away!" Exclaimed Amiya as she began casting her Arts. "Break through their ranks! We will rescue Meteorite's squad!"

Bolts and Arts flew towards the Reunion soldiers in the ruins, bringing down parts of the crumbling structures as well. Kyrin reoriented his blood Arts and struck out at the nearest masked goon with his sword while launching his Arts at distant enemies. Shade observed him as he fought, noting the streamlined style of Sarkaz's flow of combat: Slash, strike with blood, block, repeat. Each maneuver was calculated, and the Pythia recognized so.

"What are you spacing off for?!" Folinic's cutting voice interrupted the man's thoughts. "We're in the midst of an ambush, it's not the time to be awing over an elite operator's skills!"

"I wasn't 'awing'!" Annoyed, Shade slammed a charging Reunion member with his swordspear hard. "Also, get behind the guards, you're going to get hurt!"

"I can handle myself!" She replied as she shot a compound shell onto the enemy group, not expecting to feel the burn from the acid sprayed all over their skin. "Get away from us!"

Even when he fought, there was a thought that lingers in his mind. No matter how focused he was as he attacked, no matter how sleek he was in dodging, there would always be an instant when he glanced over to the woman.

"Grgh!"

Shade saw the expression on her face, even though it was during the heat of battle, he saw boiling anger in her eyes as she mercilessly attacked with her compounds. Over time, her anger only seethed more as her movements started to tire out, as the Pythia knew.

'She's carelessly tiring herself out!' The thought was daunting as he saw Folinic panting even harder. And at the corner of his eye, behind a broken pillar, a Reunion crossbowman has his sights on the unsuspecting Feline. "Watch out!"

"H-Huh?" Folinic turned around from Shade's warning, and as she did, all she saw was a speeding bolt piercing through the air and aiming at her head. "No!"

*pierce*

The sound of flesh being pierced resounded through her ears as Folinic gasped.

"S-Shade?!"