~Chapter 2~

Purah took my hands, squeezing them.

“I know this is sudden, but…”

“It’s not something we could control. There’s no use worrying over it.”

Purah plopped herself in my lap, hugging me tightly.

“What happened to my MeyMey? You were so happy back then!”

“She… she’s gone,” I whispered.

A sigh escaped from Purah as she pulled away, looking me in the eye.

“Just because everything fell apart is not a reason to be so unhappy! You just gotta find your happiness again!”

“It doesn’t work like that, Purah.”

“It does! You just gotta keep working on it!”

I sighed, watching Purah skip to her workbench.

“I’ve been exchanging letters with my sister and Robby. We figured there were more locked pictures on the Sheikah Slate. We want to help you find your happiness again. And… maybe helping Link find his memories of you will help. He got his memories of Zelda, so it should work for you-”

“The Princess held more importance in his life. They’re both the Hero and Goddess of legend. I’m nothing but a bystander in their story.”

“And what of the secret you’re keeping from them? That’s not another part of your destiny?”

“N-No, I refuse to let it.”

Purah sighed again, shaking her head.

“What will it take to help you see?”

I shrugged, letting my gaze wander the room.

“Probably nothing. We can’t go back in time and fix what happened.”

“MeyMey…”

The door opened, and Link slipped back in. He kept his gaze to the floor as Zelda followed him in.

“Have you thought it over?” Purah asked.

“Yes…” Link responded.

He took a shaky breath, opening his mouth. He quickly shut it, clenching his fists. I looked back to the ground as Zelda placed a hand on Link’s shoulder.

He took another breath, before looking up.

“I want to remember. I want to get these memories back. Zelda wouldn’t have taken them if they meant nothing.”

“First name basis without formalities, wouldn’t that be nice? I remember the time-”

“Stop it.”

Gloved hands took hold of mine. I looked up, my eyes meeting Link's.

“Will you come with me?” Link asked me.

“Wh-what? I-I-I…”

I glanced at Zelda and Purah for help, but they only nodded.

“I… I guess? I don’t know…”

Link dropped my hands, pulling me in a hug. My eyes widened as we nearly fell, but he held us up. My eyes grew misty at the familiar warmth.

“I missed his hugs-”

He let go, turning to Zelda.

“Let’s get ready so we can leave as soon as possible!”

“Where’re you gonna go first?” Purah asked.

“Where’s the first picture located?”

Link and I moved to Zelda’s side as she pulled out the Sheikah Slate. The first picture opened, and we grew quiet.

“I’ve never been to this place before. I don’t know where it is.”

“I do.”

They looked at me as I took the tablet.

“It’s down at that beach. Only a few minutes from the village.”

I looked up, frowning.

“There’s usually monsters there. I don’t know if they’re still there, but it hasn’t been safe in a while.”

“Why don’t we head there now?”

“I don’t know…”

“Yeah! Let’s go!”

“Purah, we still have research to do.”

Symin looked back at them from his desk, frowning.

“C’mon, it’ll be fun!”

Symin sighed, shaking his head.

“No, you’re staying here.”

Purah pouted as Link grabbed our hands, leading us out.

“Where’s this spot on the beach?” he asked.

“U-um… follow me, I guess…”

~ * ~

That conversation between Purah and Mey is one I've had with my mom and counselors many times so many years ago now. Took several years before they finally got through to me lol

I kinda imagine Purah to be Mey's emotional support a little, and kinda a pick-me-up side character to help her. I do love Purah a lot. I still haven't played AoC to really see her character more, but I did like interacting with her in BotW hehe.

And Mey's been through a lot, which we'll get into further in later chapters 👀

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Next chapter: December 11, 2022