~Chapter 9~

I watched from a tree as everyone finished setting up for the night. The merchants headed inside, the horse's water refilled. Lights dimming... Except for the one under the tree.

I glanced at Link as he looked through his pouch, counting out the potions he'd made.

"You can go sleep inside. I'm sure it'd be much better than being out here," I mumbled.

"I'd rather you sleep in the bed. Besides, I've slept out in the wild a lot, it's not bad."

I shrugged, curling back up and looking out to the river.

"Why do you want your memories back, anyway? They can't all be good."

"They aren't. But... It feels much better to know. Like, a piece of me is missing without them. Besides, you can't have the good without the bad."

"Truer words have never been spoken."

"Could you not?"

It grew quiet for a moment, the only sound coming from the fire, and the crickets hiding in the grass. Link paused for a moment, before setting his pouch aside. Before I could react, he'd climbed up and sat next to me in the tree.

"Don't-"

He grabbed my wrist, stopping me from pushing him away on instinct. Our eyes met briefly, but I glanced away.

"Why do you avoid us like that?"

"Like what?"

He turned my head towards him, holding my chin in place.

"You keep everyone at a distance and push those who try to get close. You make all interactions as quick as possible to keep others away. You didn't use to be like this."

"And how do you know? You don't even remember me."

"I do a little... But I want to know more! I want to remember! That's why we're doing this."

Tears pricked at my eyes as my thoughts went on.

"I'm not the only one who's changed."

He cupped my cheeks, our eyes meeting again.

"Of course. It's been over 100 years, we're all going to change."

His voice grew soft as he wiped a stray tear away. I pulled back, turning my head away.

"Some of us didn't change in a good way. So... sometimes it's good to just keep everyone away. For their own safety."

We grew quiet as I let more tears out, keeping my face away from his view.

"What happened after I died?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"Yeah, what happened after he died?"

"Don't do this now..."

"Don't do what?"

I froze, my breath catching.

"I told you not to get close to him. Maybe if you had better control over yourself-"

Link turned my head back to him, wiping away another tear.

"Don't do what now?"

"He's trying to be nice. He's always been sweet and caring like this. That's why I-"

"I said don't."

"I'm sorry."

I pulled away again, then jumped from the tree.