~Chapter 26~

I opened my eyes as Zelda sat up next to me. We stopped at a shrine, since there weren't any more stables near the castle.

"Link," she whispered.

I slowly sat up, rubbing my eyes.

"Let's go."

I nodded, and we got to our feet, collecting our gear. We were close, and we could reach the castle in less than an hour. I hopped up on my horse's back, snapping the reins. Zelda followed close behind, the only sound between us coming from our horses.

I kept an eye out, watching to see if anything moved. If there were any clues on what happened with the monsters and Amethyst. But like the day before, there were none.

The sun peeked over the horizon, and I frowned.

The sky had turned red, like when I had fought the Calamity.

"This looks like then..." Zelda mumbled.

I grit my teeth, squeezing my eyes shut. We were close. We had to be close. I couldn't just lose her after being so close to remembering her more.

"Link, look!"

I glanced up as we crossed the bridge, my eyes landing on a circle of rocks south of the Sacred Ground Ruins.

"That wasn't there before."

"Do we go to it?"

"I don't think we have much of an option..."

We directed our horses to move off the path, heading towards the rocks.

"It looks like there's six of them. I wonder what they could be for..."

The horses slid to a stop not far off the path, refusing to move. I glanced at Zelda, who bit her lip.

"We'll have to go on foot, then."

I nodded, then we both climbed down. I pulled out my sword, and Zelda her dagger.

"We have to be ready for anything," I said.

"Yes. And we'll stop whatever this is and get Amethyst back."

We stopped by the rocks, watching them. My gaze landed on symbols on the face of the rock, all pointing inward. I felt the urge to move into the circle, but stopped myself.

"Two of the rocks' symbols are faded."

Zelda pointed to two across from each other. The other four glowed, while the two had both dimmed.

"What do they mean...?"

One symbol dimmed, before letting out a puff of smoke.

"Well, well, well, I didn't think you'd join us so soon!"

I turned to my left, holding up my sword. A figure stood over us on a platform, their chin in their hand.

"I'm afraid we're not quite ready for you. My Master still has three more to join us before we can begin."

"What are you talking about? Who are you?" Zelda called.

"Ah, Hylia! It has been some time, yes? I suppose your guard dog Impa isn't around, hm? Such a shame I can't fight her again. It was a joy back in the day!"

"M-My name is Zelda..."

"And if it isn't Link! My, we had such fun times together! How is my dear Fi doing, have you heard anything from her?"

"Who's Fi?"

They frowned, before sighing.

"I guess you wouldn't remember. It's not like anyone tells you all this anymore."