~Chapter 4~

I watched as the shadows moved back and forth under the door, Link and Zelda talking to each other. I'd locked myself back up under the stairs, refusing to come out when they called for me.

The two of them finally stopped, before there was a soft knock on the door.

"Mey, can you come out?" Zelda asked.

I curled into a tighter ball than before, not making a sound.

"Please? There's no need to hide..."

Link said something, and the door pushed against the wall.

"We're not mad... or-or scared. We just want to know what happened," she said.

"I can't tell you," I responded.

"Why not?"

"Because... you'll look at me differently. And you'll hate me."

"Are you sure that's how we'd react?"

"I'm positive. It's what happened before, it's bound to happen again."

I scooted away from the door, turning away from it.

"Good night," I mumbled, leaning against the wall.

Zelda sighed, and her footsteps moved away from the door. I quickly wiped a stray tear from my cheek, willing my mind to drift off and fall asleep. But I could only wish.

I was aware when the lights turned out, and when the two separated to fall asleep. And when Zelda's snores began to fill the small house.

I was painfully aware of the quiet footsteps moving to the door, and the key slipping in to unlock it.

I glanced over as Link stuck the key back, before peeking in.

"Are you okay?" he whispered.

"There's nothing you can do to help. Just go to sleep."

I reached over to shut the door, but he stopped me.

"Do you know what the memory was?" he asked.

"I can only assume. We spent a bit of time there."

Link settled in the doorway, using his legs to keep it from closing.

"Do you remember the last time we went?"

I paused, glancing at him.

"Not really."

"It was the day before I left for the castle. I wanted to be a knight, so my dad was taking me. I didn't have the brightest idea back then..." he chuckled, closing his eyes.

"I tried confessing. You ended up beating me to it. I was shocked, and didn't know how to react. You took off before I could say anything, then I didn't get to see you for a while."

"Then we met up again, after you pulled the Master Sword. You wanted to see your mom, right?"

"Yeah. I finally confessed to you. I remembered how happy you were, after how many years we hadn't seen each other, and I couldn't say anything..."

Another tear slipped out without me realizing. I wiped it away, hoping Link didn't notice it.

"How did you end up at the castle?" he asked.

"I wanted to travel, and get away from home. I was old enough, and it felt like it was time. After I got to Castletown, I needed a job, but I didn't pay much attention. I just signed up for what paid decently and ended up as the Princess's Lady in Waiting."

"Huh..."

We grew quiet, the sound of Zelda's snores filling the house once more.

"You can share your worries with us, Mey. Letting it all out is better than holding it in. You'll only feel worse until you can let it out."

"Too much will change it if I say anything. I can't do it."

"What happened last time you said something about... whatever's happening?"

"Right after you died."

We grew quiet, and I shifted against the wall.

"The wrong people heard what I said and tried to kill me. I only escaped because Impa and Purah helped me. We don't know how I... it happened, but it did. I was running and doing small tasks for Impa until the two of you came back. Though... admittedly, I do miss traveling all the time. I got to see so much more of Hyrule than I did before the Calamity. I finally got to see the world, and there's still more for me to see..."

I grew quiet, before I sighed.

"I guess some things were only meant to be that. A dream."

"You could come with us."

"Huh?"

Our eyes met as I turned to face him, my brows furrowed.

"I still have memories to get back. You could come with us while we find them. Then you can get out of here and keep traveling. Maybe go somewhere you haven't gotten to visit yet."

"Like where?"

"Maybe Gerudo Desert? Or even Death Mountain. We'd just have to get you clothes or potions to handle the heat. I'm sure you couldn't go to either place before."

"N-No, I couldn't..."

"But it's dangerous out there. Just look at what happened today!"

"But it's... dangerous for me to go out there. Something might happen."

"You do know how to use a sword. You can protect yourself if we came across any Bokoblins."

"That's not what I meant..."

I looked away, closing my eyes.

"I'll let you sleep on it. Zelda and I will be here for another day or two, so there's plenty of time to decide."

Link got up, letting the door squeak shut. I listened as he moved back over to his bed, where he quickly fell asleep. I let my eyes fall shut, unaware of the nightmares waiting to pull me down.

~ * ~

We got a LinkxMey moment 👀

Is anyone else getting the awkward vibes between the three, or is it all in my head 😅 I hope I'm doing their emotions justice and getting the right feeling in. It's definitely something I want to get better at doing hehe

Also, Merry Christmas everyone!

I am going on a little posting/updating hiatus for January. Hopefully I can get a lot more chapters written while I'm gone and be prepared with more hehe

Next chapter: February 12, 2023