Chapter 15: Hazy Memories Forgotten On The Knee

The following two weeks was interesting to say the least. On Tuesday morning Gus had come over to ask if Luz could come to Hexside to inspect some human objects.

"Gus, I'd love to go to school with you, but I don't know how I can. Principal Bump banned me from Hexside." Luz had pointed out. Eda had looked up from rummaging through a box "when did you get banned from Hexside?" Luz had shrugged in response, not wanting to deal with that lie she spun.

Luckily for her Eda had dropped it and told them, "all Hexside is good for is stomping out creativity." Leaving the room afterwards. Gus had then told Luz the ban was lifted, which was an obvious lie, but with nothing better to do Luz went along with it anyways.

When they did get to the H.A.S. Luz was worried on if she could actually identify the objects, but luckily she didn't have to due to Mattholomew. Unfortunately this resulted in detention where Gus confessed to his lie and the two, plus Matt, got out of there alive.

However out of all the things she expected from the Owl Lady, Luz did not expect her to enroll her into the school. Luz was left speechless when Eda told her (but maybe that was partly due to being out of breath from busting a door down.) Her friends were excited for her, Bump gave her a pamphlet, and she went back to the Owl House with Eda.

When they entered the house Luz had to ask "why?" Eda had sat on the floor in front of the couch with a stack of papers and looked at her. "Well you haven't been learning anymore glyphs and I haven't found out how to find them. So, I suppose Hexside might be able to teach you something I can't."

Luz sat on the couch as Eda explained. "Plus I figured you'd get to see those friends of yours more often." Luz pulled her knees up to her chest, why did Eda have to be so nice? Eda looked back at her when she sniffled. "Woah kid, you okay?" Eda asked as she got up from the floor to sit beside Luz.

Luz wiped the forming tears from her eyes. "Y-Yeah. I just- you're just so much nicer than other people I know." Eda had frowned a bit at that. Was Luz shown so little kindness in the Human Realm? Is that why she felt like she had no home to go back to? Is that why she thinks she's a waste of space?

She put a hand on the kid's shoulder, but retracted when Luz recoiled away from her. "I'm sorry." Luz immediately apologized, Eda shook her head "no I should've asked first." She paused as Luz wiped her face again. "Did you... want to go to Hexside?" Luz blinked up at her and thought it over. She looked away with a quiet "I do."

It was just so odd to Luz that someone would do something without some kind of consequence or alter motive. Belos would heal her curse and send her back to the Human Realm if she got the portal door from Eda. Warden Wrath wouldn't hurt her if she told him how she got to the Boiling Isles, granted she did tell him everything she remembered at the time and was still hurt for 'lying'.

Luz shook her head and focused back on the Hexside pamphlet she was currently reading on the couch. But her mind drifted again to what happened on Friday. After coming back to the Owl House from the Slayground and asking Eda if she needed to fetch the Elixir, Luz had gone off to hangout with Willow and Gus for a school sport thing.

A Grudgby game against Glandis, apparently. But Luz was late and Luz had the idea to use Eda's staff to get there. Oh boy, palisman staffs were so different than her mechanical one. On one hand she could feel the power the staff held, which was so cool. On the other... she had to direct a sentient being to not crash, unfortunately they crashed.

The three had followed the runaway palisman to the Bat Queen's cave. Where Luz had to complete trials to gain Owlbert's trust again. Milking the spider demon and clearing out the bee's nest was easy, but giving the babies a bath? Those things were little biters. Then fighting the Bat Queen herself was the hardest part, her potions were deflected and she didn't want to use her dagger. So instead after pushing the Bat Queen away and spotting the interlock, Luz caught the Bat Queen off guard by stating that she was once a palisman on a staff.