chapter2

Part02

Jennie stares at her reflection in the full-length mirror on her closet door, inspecting every inch of her body from head to toe. It's the first day of eighth grade, and she needs to make a good impression.

Her long hair is pulled back from her face with a white headband. There's a touch of eyeliner and mascara around her eyes, and her lips shine with the raspberry-flavored lip gloss she bought last week while at the mall with Lisa.

The dress she's wearing is her favorite—a pale-blue, knee-length sundress that her mother bought for her last month. She smiles a little. She can honestly say she looks pretty.

"Congratulations, Ruby," Irene sneers, stepping into Jennie's room and looking her over with a critical eye, causing Jennie to immediately tense up. "You could almost pass for a girl."

"I'm a girl," Jennie retorts, feeling herself tremble with anger. She hates when Irene does this.

Her sister laughs. "Of course you are. Well, at least most of you is. Except for the most important part of all."

"I'm just telling the truth, you know. You can pretend as much as you want that you're just like every other girl, but you're not. You're a freak—a girl with a dick. No one's ever going to want you. Hell, Daddy can barely even stand to look at you."

Blood rushes in her ears, and Jennie sees red. She wants nothing more than to make her sister hurt like she does, and it takes all of her self-control not to lunge at Irene. "Get out!" Jennie shouts instead, angry tears stinging her eyes.

Irene smirks and laughs, her red Cheerios skirt swishing as she leaves.

Jennie's body thrums with helpless anger as she glares at her reflection once more, her eyes immediately locking onto the place between her legs. The compression shorts prevent anything from showing that shouldn't, but that doesn't change fact that something is there that isn't supposed to be there.

Her hands are still clenched at her sides, and she has the overwhelming urge to hit something. Irene can be so awful sometimes. But the worst part is, she's right. No one is ever going to want her.

"Cutest boys in school, go," Nayeon says to Lisa—the two of them seated in the booth across from Jennie at Breadstix.

"Lee Young Heum" Lisa replies with a dreamy smile.

"Min yoongi" Jisoo adds from her seat next to Jennie.

"Jeon jungkook is really cute too," Lisa says, staring off into space a little.

"He's kind of a jerk though," Jisoo says with a frown.

"Agreed," Nayeon says, before turning to look at Jennie. "Who's your pick, jen?"

Nayeon, Lisa, and Jisoo look at Jennie expectantly then. She finishes chewing and swallows before finally settling on her answer. "Taehyung kim."

That earns her a nod of approval from the other girls, and Jennie feels a small measure of relief.

"They're all cute," Nayeon says then, her lips curving up into a mischievous smile, "but Jackson Wang is getting my pick."

Lisa nudges Nayeon's arm a little then. "Are you going to tell Jennie and Jisoo what you two did last week?"

"What did you do?" Jennie asks, her uneasiness giving way to curiosity.

"Jackson and I made out in the shelter house at Gwangju Park," she replies with an excited glint in her eyes.

"Wow," Jisoo says, eyes widening a bit. "Is he a good kisser?"

"Pretty good, yeah," Nayeon replies as she reaches for a breadstick of her own—that look of satisfaction never leaving her face.