Pirate x Mermaid Au p2

Every so often, the crew of Captain Minamoto stopped at home port, they never went too far. Nene had wondered why they always went a couple knots past the reef then circled back, confusing her a small bit at the sight of the large ship going to and fro across the water, almost seeming like they never really wanted to leave.

Yet she kept to herself, trying to stay out of the way of any and all strangers as much as possible, it was easy enough to avoid the crew when the rest of them were away, even if their loud voices carried to her ears. Nene liked it better this way anyways; it meant less people to get in her way as she worked on her art, which was her collection of trinkets and sparkly items she had grabbed from the men that fell into her waters. To her, none of them were really her type, some more burly with dark hair, others were scrawny and barely had hair at all. But none of them were really right for what she wanted. She wanted something more than these dull objects and jewels, she needed someone who would look at her with those golden eyes of his, she needed to be looked at by him.

She sighed as she laid down next to her collection, yet paused, golden eyes? The only time she saw golden eyes was when she was younger, a boy around her age would come near the reef and look into the water, sometimes he would chat with her, and then go away for a long while, she didn't know if he died of scurvy or not, but she had missed his enigmatic ways of describing the land. She wondered if she could find him, see if they could talk again. That is, if he still lived in this world and if he wouldn't be scared of her.

She sat up with a gasp when an idea came to her mind, she grinned widely, the boy could have been anyone! He could be on that ship! Nene had decided, if she wanted to keep listening to him, she would have to see him herself!

It wasn't very safe, especially since there were many dangerous creatures that roamed the sea and could easily snatch her out of the water before she could even think about swimming off. But she had made up her mind, she had already spent enough time floating around doing nothing. So, after gathering everything, that she thought was expensive, she packed her seaweed bag she made herself and headed towards the sea port, her scales glittering in the sunlight.
"Hey!" Someone yelled behind her, making her jump, the voice was male and somewhat familiar, she knew he hadn't initially meant to have shouted just now. Nene turned round and saw him standing there with his arms folded, looking annoyed. "You shouldn't go here, you'll get hurt." He scolded her sternly.

Nene tilted her head slightly as she took in the sight of the boy, she had been thinking of since her first visit to the reef. He seemed older now, although it might just be his attitude that made him seem taller. His hair was messy, a few strands falling in front of his face. He looked rather tired, a bit different from the younger boy she remembered "....you seem familiar, yet also not, who are you? I only came by to find a boy I met a long while ago...." Her voice was soft and quiet.

The boy scoffed as he rolled his eyes, "Of course you don't remember me, you've probably drowned yourself in the shallow waters around the reef, I can only imagine how hard it must be, drowning in the ocean!" He mocked with a chuckle. Drowned? Nene had no recollection of ever drowning, she was always a mermaid, right? Nene shook her head, huffing softly at the boy, he was no help to her, she only wanted to see the boy who dreamed of the stars and the moon.

"You are no help, and for a human you are quite rude! I wanted to find the boy with golden eyes and a wish for the stars, is that hard to ask?"

The boy in front of her looked surprised, almost bewildered, somehow she remembered something that he only said to one person as a kid. Amane hurried to one of the cannon windows below deck, getting a closer look at the mermaid, she was familiar, his memory was spotty but he clearly remembered seeing a kid around his age a few years back. "You want to find a boy with golden eyes? Last I heard I am the second one, my father being the first and my brother being the third. Maybe it's me?" The mermaid stared intensely into the boy's eyes looking at every speck of gold she saw. "Maybe you are, but from what I remember the boy would leave for months at a time and only return during warmer seasons." Amane stayed puzzled for a bit, wracking his memories for such a vast amount of time away from the oceans, only to return in the summer, then it clicked, he was a school student! Of course he would be gone for months! And the only reason he couldn't go and see the mermaid at the time was due to war threats from towns and seafarers with a much larger arsenal than the port ships. "Ah, I was learning at the time, and also the threats from others kept me from coming to the shores... If I may ask, what do you remember? Before meeting me?"