Back to the Park

"You love him."

"No."

"Of course you do, honey."

"Mom, seriously. I don't."

"There's nothing stronger than a mates bond. Stop denying yourself."

My mother gave me a hard look, telling me to speak the truth. I sighed and looked away. I wasn't too sure what to tell her.

"I don't know." I mumbled, speaking truthfully. "It's complicated."

She sighed and moved a little on the sofa to get comfortable.

"Tell me what's so complicated then."

"He's a killer, mum. A cold hearted murdered. They all are! How am I supposed to feel safe around them? He killed a man - ripped his head from his body - right in front of me." I held a hand over my mouth in disgust.

"Jasper is a werewolf and he's in the other room. Do you feel safe?"

"Well yeah, he's my brother. He wouldn't hurt me."

"And Dazz is your mate. Like I said, there's nothing stronger than a mates bond."

"But Jasper hasn't killed anyone, not that I know of." I mumbled.

She scoffed, "Your brother has killed people, so has your father."

She smiled at my horror stricken face.

"You need to understand that what they do, is to protect us. Your brother and father killed rouges - wild werewolves that were a threat to the pack. Just like Dazz. That man was going to kill you, Isabella. That just adds fuel to the fire."

"So you're saying this is normal?"

"In the werewolf society, yes."

I stood up, suddenly too angry to sit down. My mother was siding with them. The one person whom I thought would side with me, agree with me or at least understand how I feel, is siding with them.

"I can't believe you're siding with them." I mumbled, hugging myself.

"I'm not siding with anyone, sweetie. I'm just saying that you need to understand it from his perspective." She was frowning as she looked up at me.

"The perspective of a murderer? A killer? A monster?"

Her face morphed into anger, her eyebrows scrunching together and her jaw clenching.

"You will not call your family monsters, Isabella. Your father is a werewolf and he has worked hard to raise this family." She almost shouted.

I'm not sure what it was but I suddenly became angry too. I felt the need to yell, to shout at something, someone. I needed to get it all out, all the emotions and thoughts I've had in my head since I was a child.

I dropped my hands and balled them into fists by my side.

"You're bringing dad into this? The same man that cheated on you. Twice!?"

Her face fell blank and pure horror crossed her face.

"How did you know?" She whispered, staring off.

"I was 11. I couldn't sleep, came to get some water and heard you yelling as I passed your room."

She was silent.

"After all he did to you, you still put up with him."

"He's my mate." Was all she said, still staring off.