Chapter 1. 1813 

Lord Anthony Barrington was a rake. However, he wasn't a typical English rake. He was a rake with common sense. Unlike his older brothers, he used the withdrawal method when he was involved with acts of intimacy.
At the age of 27, Anthony was searching for his wife. He wasn't wanting to so his wild oats everywhere and have bastards running around. Yes, he did want children, but with someone who he loved. He wasn't going to be stupid enough to father illegitimate children. Not like George and Robert.
Anthony shook his head, coming back to the present. He didn't want to think about his older brothers for a moment longer. His attention was focused on the glittering stage of the London opera house, where a lovely production of Le Belle Rose was being performed. Sitting back against the plush deep red velvet seat of his private box, he watched as the main actress of the opera came onto stage. Leaning forward, he watched her intently.
She was magnificent. Dark red curls piled into a chignon on top of her head. Porcelain skin mixed with pink along her cheeks. Dazzling blue green eyes that danced with excitement beneath the spotlight. Her full and beautiful figure was accentuated in a dazzling gown of white silk with off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline that exposed a little cleavage.
Anthony felt his body burn with desire. This young woman was unlike any other woman he had ever seen. She was angelic. He felt his cock spring to life inside his black trousers. He swallowed hard, his heart pounding.
And then, as the audience continued watching, the beautiful opera singer opened her mouth and began to sing. They leaned forward in their seats, captivated. They had never heard anything so exquisite.
Anthony was just as enthralled as the rest of the audience. He couldn't believe that someone could have such a beautiful voice. The notes that the young lady was singing had a pure quality to them, clear and perfect. Her voice cascaded and sword throughout the room. He knew one thing and one thing alone, he had to have her.
***
She felt like she was floating on that stage, her eyes closed and her arms outstretched as each note poured through her heart and soul. She heard the orchestra moving with her, her voice and their instruments gliding together like a perfect waltz. She felt exquisite. But of course, she knew the beautiful feeling wouldn't last once the stage lights went dim.
At the age of 23, Cordelia Parker was a young woman who was trying to make ends meet. She performed at the opera five days a week, which earned her 1000 pounds per every show. Aside from that, she was also involved with another profession that she wasn't proud of. However, with her mother near dying and her brother gambling his inheritance away, she knew she had no other choice.
But Cordelia was wanting more than just the opera House night after night. She was wanting more than to spread her legs for gentleman who didn't care about her. She was wanting love, marriage and a family. She was wanting a better life for herself. She was wanting happiness.
Little did Lord Barrington and Miss Parker realize that their lives would be intertwined when they least expected it. They had no idea that the upcoming Christmas ball was going to bring them together and change their lives forever.
***
Two hours after the show was finished, Anthony snuck out of his box and made his way to the opera singers dressing room. He was desperate to speak with her, to meet her. He was entranced by her, captivated by her. He needed to get to know her. To make her his.
Finding her dressing room door, Anthony took a deep breath and raised his fist. After knocking on the door three times, he heard the sound of skirts swishing. Moments later, he watched as the door opened, revealing the angelic songstress.
The woman smiled at him sweetly. "Good evening."
Anthony returned her smile before extending his hand to her. "Good evening. I do hope I wasn't disturbing you, but I needed to come and congratulate you on your performance. You have the most angelic voice I have ever heard."
The young woman smiled again before placing her small gloved hand gently into his. Her heart skipped a few beats as she watched him bring her knuckles up to his lips for a soft kiss. "Thank you, I much appreciate your compliment."
Anthony. "You are very welcome. May I ask your name?"
The young woman's cheeks became pink. "Cordelia Parker."
Anthony brushed his lips against her knuckles for another kiss. "It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Parker. My name is Lord Anthony Barrington."