Chapter 9. 1813 

Cordelia gave her a soft smile. "I am happy to see you. I'd like you to meet someone. Mother, this is my fiancé, Lord Anthony Barrington."
Mary smiled at Anthony. "It's a pleasure to meet you my Lord. Thank you for taking care of my daughter."
Anthony brushed his lips gently against her knuckles. "The pleasure is all mine Mrs. Parker. I promise you that I am going to take very good care of Cordelia. She is going to be loved and adored. She is going to be happy and comfortable."
Mary. "And that's all I want for her."
Anthony. "And that is what I will give her."
After she saw Cordelia's engagement ring, Mary closed her eyes and fell asleep. She looked exhausted. It was clear she didn't have the strength to speak very much.
Tears glistening in her eyes, Cordelia kissed her mother's forehead. "I love you mother." Rising to her feet, she turned and quietly left the room with Anthony behind her.
As they left the house, after saying a quick hello to Roger, Anthony and Cordelia had no idea that they wouldn't see Mary Parker again. Little did they realize that Cordelia's mother wouldn't survive the new year. With heavy hearts, they climbed into their carriage and drove back to Norfolk Hall.
***
At dawn the following morning, Cordelia was awakened by one of the Barrington servants. Opening her eyes, she gazed at the young woman. "What is it?"
The young woman gave her a letter. "This arrived for you five minutes ago ma'am."
Cordelia took the letter with shaking hands. "Thank you."
The young woman turned and left the room.
Feeling her heart squeeze, Cordelia slowly opened the letter with shaking fingers. Pulling out a single sheet of paper, she recognized Roger's handwriting. Swallowing hard, she began to read the inevitable words that her brother had written.
Cordelia,
I am writing to let you know that mother passed away peacefully in her sleep at midnight last night. One of the servants found her and came and told me. I believe funeral arrangements can be made after the new year.
Roger
Cordelia allowed her brother's letter to fall from her hands, allowed the tears to flow down her cheeks. Her mother was dead. She was no longer alive. She wasn't going to see her daughter get married, wasn't going to see her grandchildren. She was gone.
With a cry of agony, Cordelia collapsed to the bed, bursting into sobs. She curled up into a ball, her heart breaking into pieces. She felt like she couldn't breathe. Her heart was aching. After several minutes of crying, she eventually fell asleep.
***
Opening her eyes several hours later, Cordelia came face-to-face with Anthony George Robert and Margaret, all of them looking at her with concern. She knew she must look terrible, her face pale and her eyes red and bloodshot. She swallowed hard, moving into a sitting position. She had no idea how she was going to tell her new family the news.
Margaret. "Dearest Cordelia, whatever is the matter?"
Tears gathered at the corners of Cordelia's eyes, and she allowed them to fall down her cheeks. Her voice trembled. "Mother is dead."
All four Barrington children wrapped their arms around her, hugging her tightly. Anthony's arms were the tightest, his lips brushing against her cheek and forehead. None of them could believe how fast Mary's condition had deteriorated overnight.
George. "Your mother is going to have a funeral worthy of a noble woman. She is going to have respect."
Cordelia sniffled. "Thank you very much your grace, but I can't ask you to..."
George held up a hand to silence her. "Please, allow us to do this for your mother. Even though none of us knew her, except Anthony for a very short time, we feel that she deserves a decent funeral."
Robert. "That way you and your brother don't have to worry about expenses."
Anthony caressed her cheek. "The two of you can have peace knowing she is taken care of."
Cordelia gave them all a soft smile. "Thank you very much. My brother told me that he would like mothers funeral to be in a month. So that would be January."
George. "That can be arranged."
Everyone exchanged another tight squeeze, their hearts filled with grief. They knew that Mary Parker was going to receive a funeral fit for a duchess. And if Roger tried objecting, they wouldn't allow him to do so.