Chapter 8. 1813 

Christmas Eve was a quiet affair at the Barrington home. Norfolk Hall was still decorated with glittering Christmas lights and ornaments, but the guest list consisted only of Charles and Margaret with their children. It was also discovered that George decided to change his less than honorable ways and marry his first mistress, Maria Labelle. He also acknowledged his three children, Arthur Christopher and Julia.
While the rest of the family was enjoying dinner and drinks, Anthony and Cordelia stepped outside onto the terrace. They were wanting to be alone, to make sure that their proposal wasn't interrupted.The rest of the family knew that they were engaged, but they were wanting to see the evidence.
Cordelia smiled sweetly. "I won't make you stay out here longer than necessary my love, it's a bit chilly."
Anthony chuckled. "Thank you dear. I want this to be perfect."
Cordelia. "I know you do."
Smiling softly, Anthony removed a black velvet box from the pocket of his trousers. Going down on one knee, he removed the lid of the box to reveal a lovely blue diamond ring. Surrounding the larger diamond was a halo of small clear round diamonds. The band was white gold.
Cordelia covered her mouth. "Anthony, it's beautiful."
Anthony. "I'm glad you love it."
Cordelia. "It's perfect."
Anthony took her hand, smiling at her. "Cordelia Mary Parker, I promise to love you for the rest of my days. I promise to cherish you and love you with every ounce of my heart and soul and body. I promise to be faithful to you and you alone. Will you marry me?"
Cordelia was beaming from ear to ear, tears cascading down her cheeks. "Yes, yes I will!"
Smiling brightly, Anthony slid the ring onto her left ring finger before rising to his feet and taking her into his arms. His lips came down hard on hers for a passionate kiss, one that she reciprocated immediately. At last, they were together and no one was going to tear them apart.
George cleared his throat behind them. "Congratulations to the two of you. However, I do advise you to come back inside before you catch your death."
Anthony and Cordelia burst out laughing as they walked back inside to join the rest of the family. They knew that Christmas was going to be filled with laughter and love. Entering the dining room, they sat down with Robert Margaret Charles and Maria. They were served food and drinks a few minutes later.
Halfway through dinner, Cordelia glanced at Anthony. "Darling, before we dive into wedding planning, there's one more person that needs to be told of our engagement."
Anthony glanced back at her, knowing exactly who she was talking about. He squeezed her hand. "We can go see her after the holidays, tell her then."
Cordelia smiled softly. "Thank you darling. I don't believe my mother is going to be getting any better, but I want her to know that I am happy. And that I am going to be taken care of."
Anthony. "Of course my love. But what about your brother?"
Cordelia bit her lip. "I don't know about Roger. We aren't on very good speaking terms. We may as well tell him, simply so that he is aware. But I don't believe he is going to be changing his ways."
George. "I can give your brother a substantial income if he would like."
Cordelia glanced at him. "Thank you very much for your offer your grace, but I believe the earnings I have received from my current employment are going to be enough for my brother. At least for now."
Anthony. "What are you going to tell your employers?"
Cordelia. "That I no longer wish to partake in any activity at the brothel. As for the stage, I believe I can live without it."
Margaret smiled at her. "Welcome to the family Cordelia."
Cordelia smiled back at her. "Thank you Margaret. And welcome to the family to you as well Maria."
Maria smiled softly. "Thank you."
For the rest of the evening, the family enjoyed one another's company. They had plenty of food and drink, although the women didn't partake in very much drinking as the gentleman did. After dinner, they exchanged gifts and enjoyed a few Christmas carols. It was clear that the holiday season had brought more than one pair of hearts together. It was evident that the new year was going to bring love and happiness. However, it was also going to bring heartbreak and sorrow.
***
Three days after the engagement, Anthony and Cordelia took a carriage to Mary's home. Cordelia had received a letter from her butler that Mrs. Parker wasn't getting any better, and that she needed to come immediately. She was beginning to realize that her mother wasn't going to survive the new year, and it was more crucial than ever that she be told of her daughters engagement.
Anthony squeezed her hand gently. "Are you all right?"
Cordelia swallowed hard. "I honestly don't know my love. I am thrilled that you and I are engaged, but I am devastated to know that my mother might not survive the new year."
Anthony gave her a tight hug. "Then it's more important than ever that we tell her of our engagement."
Cordelia. "Exactly."
Arriving to Cordelia's childhood home a few minutes later, the young couple stepped out of the carriage and walked inside. They were escorted upstairs to Mrs. Parker's bedroom by the Butler. Thankfully, Roger was in his office and didn't bother coming out.
Cordelia felt her heart give a jolt as she saw her mother lying in bed, her face pale and her body looking frail. With Anthony's hand still intertwined with hers, she walked over to her mother, went down on her knees, and brushed her cheek with a soft kiss. "Hello mother."
Mary opened her lovely blue green eyes and smiled at her daughter. She took her hand and squeezed it weekly. "Hello my darling. I'm so happy to see you."