Chapter 5. 1813 

On the evening of the Barrington Christmas ball, Cordelia was nestled inside Anthony's luxurious carriage. She couldn't believe that she was going to be spending an entire evening with the gentleman who she was beginning to develop very strong feelings for. She had no idea if Anthony reciprocated her feelings, but judging by the way he kept looking at her, his blue eyes intent on her face, she had no doubt his feelings were mutual.
When the carriage came to a stop in front of Norfolk Hall, a grand structure composed of gray limestone, Cordelia was helped out of the carriage by the footman. Taking a deep breath, she walked up the three stone steps leading into the estate and was welcomed by the butler. She gave the butler a sweet smile. "Good evening, I do believe Lord Barrington is expecting me."
The Butler's lips twitched into a small smile. "Yes he is miss. Let me go fetch him for you."
Cordelia watched him leave before removing her dark blue cloak, revealing her gown of ice blue velvet with a sweetheart neckline. She was also wearing cream silk gloves and matching ice blue slippers. Her hair was fixed into a side bun with curls dancing along her left shoulder. When she saw the butler return a few minutes later with Anthony behind him, she failed her heart flutter.
Anthony was looking dashing. He was wearing a three piece suit of white velvet with an ice blue button up shirt cravat and black boots. His eyes started dancing when he saw Cordelia standing in the middle of his parlor. He was beginning to develop very strong feelings for the young woman, and had a feeling she reciprocated those feelings. Taking a few steps forward, he took her gloved hand into his and brushed his lips against her knuckles. "You look beautiful."
Cordelia smiled softly, feeling her insides become warm at his sweet kiss along her knuckles. "Thank you, and you look very handsome."
Anthony. "Thank you. I'm so glad you could come, I was beginning to get worried that the snow was going to keep you away."
Cordelia giggled. "Not even the snow could keep me away from you my Lord."
Anthony smiled. "I'm glad. We still have another hour before the rest of the guests arrive. Would you like to see a tour of the house?"
Cordelia. "I would love to. But isn't this house your brothers?"
Anthony chuckled as he escorted her upstairs. "Yes it is. My second oldest brother Robert has Barrington Hall, which is located 3 miles from here."
Cordelia. "And what about your estate?"
Anthony escorted her into the library. "I have an estate as well, Stratford Hall. That's located 6 miles from here. My father had quite a lot of wealth, 180,000 pounds to be exact. He drew up a will for myself and my siblings, dividing the money between the four of us. We each received 45,000 pounds."
Cordelia's eyes went wide. "My word, your father must've been very generous."
Anthony. "He was, he adored all four of us equally. However, as we became older, George started becoming a troublemaker. My father wasn't pleased with that, because he knew George was going to inherit Norfolk hall and the title of Duke of Norfolk. He tried telling my older brothers to be more respectable gentleman, but they didn't listen to him."
Cordelia. "Your brothers remind me of my own. My father gave both Roger and me 8000 pounds. However, after he died, Roger took my portion of the inheritance and used it for his own pleasure. He allowed 16,000 pounds to go down the drain with his gambling."
Anthony. "And that's why you are working for Mrs. Northridge."
Cordelia lowered her eyes. "Exactly. Thankfully, I have raised enough money to pay off Rogers gambling debt with my opera performances. The money I am making from the Brothel is my own."
Without even thinking, Anthony brought her into his arms for a tight squeeze. "You have more courage than any woman I've met. You want to make sure everyone else is satisfied before you."
Cordelia placed her head against his chest. "I do, I want to make sure everyone is happy. However, I don't enjoy pleasuring men who don't care for me. If I am to pleasure any gentleman, it's going to be because I love them and want to pleasure them."
Anthony tilted her chin up so that their eyes became locked. "Do you have a certain gentleman you would like to pleasure Miss Parker?"
Cordelia felt her mouth go dry. She wasn't expecting him to ask that question. But his seductive voice caused tingles of pleasure to cascade through her body, swirling around inside her belly. Her voice was barely above a whisper as she answered him. "Actually, there is."
Anthony's eyes darkened with desire. He moved his lips to her ear, his voice becoming low and husky. "Tell me who that gentleman is."
Cordelia's heart was pounding against her ribs. This was it, the moment she was going to tell him exactly who she was wanting to pleasure. She had no idea what his reaction was going to be, but she was willing to take the risk. Swallowing hard, she took a deep breath and stared into his eyes. "You."