Chapter 42: A Fury

****
Amalia's POV:
The stillness in the now darken woods was thick enough to make my breath shake with anxiousness. I gripped my bow tightly around sweaty palm, the now reality of my situation becoming evermore clearer as I journeyed further. I would have to fight and not just for my life but the lives of our men. Kill another and watch the life drain away from their eyes.

 Kill another and watch the life drain away from their eyes

No amount of training could prepare me for what's to come. The snapping of a twig nearby stopped me from my anxieties. I halted, signaling to the others behind me to hide. I slowly raise my head, seeing four soldiers from the enemies army a few feet away. I take my bow and aim it to the head of the first in my line of sight. Breathing in as I did every time I prepared myself to release my arrow, picturing the young man in front of me like the prey I hunted for my family before. The thought allowing me to separate myself from him and letting go of my arrow.

The sound of his body hitting the ground was the first of my senses to surface. Then as my eyes fluttered opened and I could see the pool of blood leaking from his skull down to the long wild blades of green.

Of course, I had killed another being before and witnessed my family's hunting habits secretly. I heard stories of my brothers' secret trips to nearby villages, prowling in the shadows for a drunk or an unfortunate soul who crossed his path.

My life has been a blend of secrecy, family, and most importantly blood whether human or animal. I am not so different from my family after all as I am now a killer like them.

My men and I rose to our feet, running towards the others left standing. Using my bow and arrow like daggers, I swung them savagely across their upper bodies. Blood splattering on my armor as I strode on the now reddish leaves. Their swords clashed fiercely, dinging together like the sound of our old family homes wind chimes. The southern winds blowing through them in a fury.

I heard a rustle across our way and see Saulo fighting two heavily armed men. I quickly take my bow running after him, shooting one of them in the leg causing him to drop his weapon before striking Saulo. I take my sword and plunge it into his chest.

Twisting the steel until I see the light in his eyes fade. I quickly pull my sword out, gazing horrifically at the blood dripping from the edge of my blade.

I stare wildly at Saulo as he looked worriedly in my direction. He rushes towards me, running his bruised hands across my body searching for any injuries.

Swift in POV:

I am all alright, Sau. I am not injured, please we must go, Amalia says reassuringly. He sighs in relief as he grabs ahold of her hand. With a swift of force an arrow is plunged into Saulo's chest, a yard away from them. In a second, his knees buckled as he fell to the ground in agony. Amalia screams in terror as she grasps ahold of his body, carefully trying not to touch the arrow.  She breaks off the arrow that was sticking out from the front and the back to allow him to lay down on his back.