Chapter 12

"Talking Body" - Tove Lo

After Loki leaves I can't help but feel guilty. I know his curfew is part of his agreement, but I just wish he had a little more freedom. I sigh, knowing that that's what we're working towards. We just have to be patient with it.

As I turn around back to the party I see Tony come up to me, a drink in his hand and a sympathetic look on his face.

"I could have extended his curfew for tonight." he says, slightly surprising me that he brought it up without me having to ask him about it. I only wish it could have been of use.

"I offered. But he said he wanted to respect your rules." I reply, hoping that fact wins him a few points with Tony.

He nods his head as he brings his glass up and takes a sip of his drink. "You were right." he says, and my eyes go wide, causing him to chuckle. "I'm not 100% convinced," he clarifies, once he sees my shock, "But he does seem to be trying."

I feel a wave of relief coming through me, because this means progress. This gives me hope that all of this isn't for nothing. He can change peoples minds.

"I'm proud of you kid." Tony says, his hand coming up around my shoulder and he pulls me towards him.

He walks us both over to where he was earlier, giving me a chance to hang out with Pepper. Something I haven't been able to do tonight. People come and go, joining our group and leaving it as we stay in the same place. I look around the room a few times, trying to keep an eye on Steve. The first time I find him still with the guys, but this time Bucky joins him. Which I'm glad to see, I'd hate for him to be sulking in a corner the entire night over Olivia.

Speaking of...

I look around to find her, seeing that she's still with Wanda, Nat, and Vision, but she has a water bottle in her hand, which makes me think Nat is being tough on her with the drinking.

The second time I try to look for Steve I don't see him in his usual spot. I look around, not being able to spot him at all in the crowd, which starts to make me nervous.

Was he so upset that he decided to leave? Or is he out on another phone call? He probably just went to the bathroom. Or...he saw Loki leave and decided to go pay him a visit. Oh god! What if he's pissed and is going to confront Loki. Did he see us talking? Did he see me staring at him with when he was talking with that agent? If he talks to Loki alone god knows what he'll say to him; what they'll say to each other. What if they–

"Mia!" someone calls out, and I break from my thought to find Nat right in front of me. "Are you okay?" she asks, concern on her face despite the fact that she has no idea of the mess that was going on in my head.

"Yeah." I lie, and not very well.

Nat narrows her eyes on me, obviously catching on that I'm lying. "I have to pee." she says then grabs my hand and starts pulling me away from the group.

"And that takes two people?" Tony asks, clearly annoyed.

"No." Nat says, turning around as she keeps pulling on my hand. "But the sex we're going to have does."

"For god sakes Romanoff." Tony says as he rolls his eyes, leaving Nat and I laughing as we exit the doors.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" Nat asks, still holding my hand as we walk towards the restroom.

I look down, still concerned about the whole situation. "Do you know where Steve is?" I ask, before bringing my eyes back to her to watch for her reaction.

I can see her trying to hide the truth on her face, but ultimately she sighs, not wanting to lie to me. "He said he needed to step away for a moment." she says, looking almost guilty for having to tell me this.