Chapter 21

"Alive" - Sia

I feel Steve shift against me and my consciousness barely starts to come to when I feel his hand sliding along my stomach to wrap around me and pull me back against his chest. I feel him let out a soft sigh as his head nuzzles into my back and I'm starting to think he's just starting to wake up too. I slide my hand against his arm trying to let him know that I'm awake in case he is. I feel his smile against my skin before he presses a gentle kiss to my shoulder blade.

"This is all I want Mia." he whispers, his voice still half asleep.

"What?" I chuckle. "My naked body against yours?"

"I mean, that too but..." He shifts us so that I can turn to look at him before he brings his hand up against my cheek. "I want to wake up with you every morning." he says, leaning in and pressing a gentle kiss against my lips. "I don't care where we are, I don't care what we're doing, as long as every morning is like this."

I want this too. This is all I've ever wanted for us. And things seem to be finally  falling into place. The Loki thing settled, my questions about Revenia answered, and now...there's just one thing left to deal with.

We stay in bed for a little bit longer, laughing and joking and just enjoying being with each other. But eventually we have to get up.

We get dressed and head downstairs where Della lets us know she already has Thor and Loki in the kitchen cooking breakfast while she sets the table. And I love the command she has over the guys. I have no doubt Revenia is in good hands with her.

I go to help Della while Steve immediately goes towards Edmond, a huge smile coming across his face when the little guy reaches out for him. With Della's permission he picks him up, flying him around like an airplane before holding him in his arms.

"Seriously Mia," Della says as she nods her head in Steve's direction. "A kid."

I chuckle, knowing Steve and I already covered that subject. And yet, as I watch him play with Esmond, the goofiest smile on his face, I can't blame her for thinking it's what he wants.

"Speaking of children," I tease, "Where are Tony and Callen?"

"They went off together this morning." Della says, "Not really sure for what but I figured it was nice that they were bonding."

It is nice. I love the idea of my families bonding. Kind of wish Callen would give Steve that chance but I know that's going to take a little more time, and granted I'm probably not helping with all the teasing I give him.

Once we've set up, Della heads back into the kitchen to check on the guys while I go over to Steve and Esmond. As soon as I'm close Esmond leans towards me, reaching his arms out. I take him from Steve, holding him close to me as I gently sway him back and forth.

Suddenly a wave of sadness comes over me and I hold Esmond tighter. I haven't even left yet and I already miss him, all of them. I wish we could have stayed longer, everyone could have gotten to know each other better. But we have so many things to prepare for Velaria's return. We need to be ready."

"Are you okay?" Steve asks, noting the tears filling my eyes. I nod my head, managing to control all but one.

Steve steps closer, not asking me anything more about it. He understands what's going on in my head, and he simply brings his hand up, placing it on my cheek and wiping the tear that managed to escape. He leans down, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. Esmond turns around seeing Steve and raising his hand, wanting to play their high five game from last night. They play their game while I hold him until Della comes back in, Thor and Loki behind her, all of them carrying food. They start spreading it out on the table just as Tony and Callen come back in. Callen sees his son in my hand, Steve with one hand around my shoulder and the other high-fiving with him, and for the first time since we've gotten here, I see a genuine smile directed towards both of us being together.