Chapter 13

"Love in the Dark" - Adele

There is no warmth that compares to body heat that is pressed next to me as I start to come into consciousness. I throw my leg over Steve's, snuggling closer to him, knowing this will always be my favorite place in the whole world.

I hear Steve let out a satisfied hum and he rests his hand on my thigh, running it up to my hip, pushing up his t-shirt that he gave me to sleep in. As I rest my head on his chest, the silence of the morning allows me to hear his heartbeat, the sound so soothing, it's almost lulling me back to sleep.

"Are you–"

"Ssshhh." I quickly say, wanting to listen to him a little longer. He chuckles lightly as he brings his hand up, gently brushing his fingers along my head.

"Does it sound healthy?" he asks with an amused laugh.

With my eyes still closed I let out a satisfied hum. "Very." I say, bringing my hand up to run my fingers along his chest.

"That's because it's beating for you." he whispers, bringing his hand down and running his fingers along my neck.

I honestly can't believe he just said that. "That was so cheesy." I mumble, still half asleep.

"Yeah but you loved it." he replies, and I can hear the smile in his voice.

I chuckle, knowing I can't deny it. "I did love it." I say as I turn my head and press a gentle kiss to his chest, right over where his heart is.

Suddenly the silence is once again interrupted. But this time the sound comes from Steve's nightstand, and more specifically one of his alarms going off on his phone.

"Shit." he whispers, and I already know what that means.

"No." I whine, not ready to go back to reality just yet. I bring my hand back, randomly pressing on his screen until I hit the stop button.

Steve sighs as he brings his hand to my cheek. "Believe me, I don't want to. But I have a meeting."

"Skip it." I say, knowing I'll gladly argue with anyone who tries to get him in trouble. "Stay with me." I lean back on his chest, hoping to convince him.

He lets out a frustrated groan as he puts his hand on my knee, keeping my leg on his hip as he turns us so that he ends up on top of me. His lips find mine and he kisses me, passionately, lovingly, like we could forget the whole world and just be with each other.

Until he starts to pull away.

I pout in annoyance, because I know he hasn't changed his mind. He chuckles as he leans down, giving my lips one last peck before lifting himself off of me.

"I'm sorry." he says, pulling the cover back over me, encouraging me to stay in bed. He then walks over to his drawer and pulls out a pair of jeans and slips them on. "Normally I would blow it off but Fury said it was important."

Fury?

I sit up, the covers falling down to my waist. "You're going to D.C." I ask, and there's no hiding the concern in my voice.

Steve turns towards me, and I can see it in his eyes that he knows exactly where my mind went. "No," he reassures me. "He told me he was coming here."

I sigh a breath of relief, but immediately feel guilty about it. Despite the fact that I know telling him the truth is for the best, I'd hate for him to think I'm not going to trust him if he has to go to D.C. alone.

Seeing my sad expression Steve comes towards me, sitting on the edge of the bed and placing a hand on my knee. "I haven't forgotten." he says, trying to reassure me. "I know we still have a conversation to finish."