Chapter 9

The next day, around the middle of the afternoon, Aeliana was sitting in the library with Leon opposite her. As per the agreement from yesterday, Leon was teaching her the imperial language once he finished his classes with his tutors.

Leon had given her a small test in order to find out where she was. Aeliana was surprised to see him taking this seriously although he was forced by their father but nonetheless said nothing and finished the test. She was pretty confident in scoring well.

She quietly sat in her seat while her brother looked through her paper. Then a sigh slipped past his lips when he placed the test down on the table.

"Your grammar is terrible," was the first thing he said.

Aeliana gulped, averting her eyes away from his. Well...that was not what she expected.

"But you have a somewhat good start in the basics," he added on.

Aeliana lifted her gaze up at him and shot him a coyish smile. Leon looked away and took a book out, placing it in between them. He flipped to a page and began teaching her the basics of the language.

Aeliana listened to him meticulously, absorbing everything he was teaching into her brain. Leon was good at teaching, to say the least. His words weren't too difficult and his explanations were simple to the point she could understand. She had her quill pen and paper with her as she wrote down the important notes during his teaching. She had to do better to make up for her regrets.

"...and that's it for today," he closed the imperial language book shut as he ended the class.

He cleaned up his things and said, "I want you to memorise every alphabet for tomorrow's class."

"Okay, br—"

"Don't call me that."

"...Okay."

He got out of his seat and left the library, without ever sparing a glance at her. Aeliana stuck her tongue out before huffing.

"What a terrible attitude."

Aeliana then put on an expressionless look and spoke in a toneless voice, "Your grammar is terrible but you have the basics. Don't call me brother."

"..What are you doing?"

"Sh—" Aeliana nearly cursed out loud but swiftly clasped her mouth shut and looked behind her.

Leon had one eyebrow raised as he looked at her.

"W—why did you return?" she asked, her heart nearly jumping out of her chest.

He pointed at the book not far from Aeliana, "I forgot to take that." he says, grabbing hold of the book.

"Haha I see!" she smiled at him, secretly praying he didn't hear her impersonating him before this.

Leon turned his heel and walked away but just as she was about to heave a relieved sigh, she heard him speak at the door,

"That was a terrible impression. At least do it properly if you're gonna impersonate." and with that, he closed the door shut.

Aeliana buried her face into her arms, whining in embarrassment. She regretted doing that. She wallowed in her shame before she resigned herself to memorising the alphabet.

As she muttered away the letters, another presence arrived and took a seat beside her. She glanced to the side, seeing Darius. He had a book in his hands and wasn't with Marius.

"What are you doing?" he quietly asked, looking over her shoulder.

Aeliana shifted her body a bit for him to see what she was doing, "I have to remember the alphabet." she says before going back to mumbling the letters.