chapter 10

(Nick POV)

What do I do now?

Karl's not here. George isn't here. Skeppy's not here. 

Keith isn't here either, but I could care less about him.

I tug my backpack higher over my shoulder and look around for my friends. It's just Dream, Bad and I here this year. I'm gonna go out on a whim and guess we might loose our minds a bit without our boyfriends here to keep us stable. There's a difference though; their boyfriends are are still in the city. Mine is in another state.

But it's fine. We're fine.

I start towards the crowd, ready to try to shove people out of the way, but it parts by itself. I frown and walk past. I feel several pairs of eyes on me. 

Have I become a meme?

Oh, right. Never mind. 

Keith was "king of the school," since he was captain of the varsity basketball team. Guess that role has landed in my lap. 

I really hope people don't expect me to act like him. 

Suddenly, someone smacks my sharply on my shoulder. I stumble forward slightly, before turning around. The basketball team flanks Tony, all smiling snidely. "Nicky!" Tony exclaims. "Where's your boyfriend? Not so confident without him to boost your fragile ego, huh?"

I raise an eyebrow. "You really are insecure, aren't you?" I ask. "Desperate to stroke your own ego. But making fun of your own team mates? You're sinking to that level? Really?"

He scoffs. I hope I've offended him. 

"Also, Karl is actually smart enough to get into college," I continue. "Unlike Mr Keith Didn't-Get-A-Single-Acceptance Dragoni."

Tony growls. Actually growls. "Don't talk about my friend like that," he snaps. 

I laugh. "Did you just growl? What are you, a furry?"

"I swear to god-"

"Nick!" 

Thank the Universe.

I spin on my heel. Dream stands about 10 feet away, waving me over. I hurry over, tossing Tony a peace sign turned into a middle finger. 

"Hey," I say, slowing to walk beside him. Bad appears to, giving us quick hugs before falling into pace. 

"Were you already starting a fight?" Dream asks. "On day one of senior year? This year counts, I hope you know that. Especially for you, Mr Varsity Captain. A lot of important eyes are on you."

I huff and cross my arms. "You think I don't know that?" I grunt. "And I wasn't starting a fight; I was defending my and Karl's honour."

Dream hums like he doesn't believe me. 

"What? I was!"

(Karl POV)

College is weird.

There are over 200 kids in my Literature class, 150 in my writing class, but only 50 in my art class. And there's a whopping 38 in my queer studies class. Kind of a punch to the gut if you ask me, but I prefer smaller class sizes, in all honesty. 

There are lockers, but they aren't assigned, and there aren't locks. Like you can put textbooks there and bring your own lock, but they're only for day use. And there aren't bells. Class has a designated end time, but teachers can let you go whenever. They could hold you three hours late, or they could let you go 20 minutes after class starts. It's so weird.