chapter 14

A/N: i just wanna say, regarding last chapter, i left it up to an online spinner wheel to decide because i didnt know if i wanted alex to kiss his cheek or his lips and my sister was no help, i promise this is going somewhere in the direction of karlnapity tho, i promise, pls dont hurt me :(

CW// talk of past bullying, mentions of abuse (both mental and physical), F slur

(Nick POV)

Other basketball players might tell you that basketball season is the best time of year.

And they might be right.

But when you're the only out queer kid on a team full of homophobes -- as far as I'm aware of at least -- it's not fun. 

However, I'm the varsity captain, according to Coach Luke. Which means people outside of basketball leave me alone. It also means I'm the "king" of the school, like Keith was. 

No pressure,

Football is going right now too, and Dream is also varsity captain. Bad doesn't play sports, so he's always on the sidelines, cheering us on. 

I pass the bulletin board, where the announcment for our first game is. It's this weekend, which I'm very excited about. 

"Sapnap."

I jump. Bad stands behind me, giving me a look. "You're staring at the poster like it's Karl."

I scoff. "Rude."

"Hey, I'm not the one staring dreamily at a poster," he says, holding up his hands. 

"You're a muffinhead," I tell him, sticking out my tongue at him. 

Bad gasps dramatically as we begin walking to lunch. "How dare you," he jokes. 

"Hey nerds," Dream says, appearing at Bad's other side. 

"Hey dummy," I reply. 

Bad sighs heavily, like he wants to say "language." He shoulders open the door as Dream and I begin bickering about the best kinds of pizza. We hop in line for lunch, behind a few football players. 

Dream crosses his arms over his chest. "I think cheese is the best," he says.

"False information," Bad argues. "Hawaiian is obviously better."

Dream frowns. "No one in their right mind would put fruit on a pizza."

I laugh. "Agreed," I say. "However, you're both still wrong. Pepperoni sausage is supreme."

"You're just saying that because it's Karl's favourite," Bad says. 

Dream gives an exaggerated cough, before muttering "simp."

I gape at the both of them. "Liars," I say, even though it's totally true.

"I agree with the football player, for once," someone says behind us. From Dream's eyeroll and Bad's frown, I already know who it is. As if his insufferable voice isn't enough. 

"Tony," I say, drawing out his name as I say it. I turn around arms outstreched with a huge smile on my face. "My main man!" I throw my arms around him. 

Dream and Bad burst out laughing as Tony struggles under my embrace. When he finally throws me off of him -- all while I'm giggling -- his face is sour. "Fuckin' weirdo," he says, voice rotten. But then he smirks. "You fags are so clingy. Maybe there's a reason your stupid little boyfriend left."

The smile drops off my face. I grab his collar and pull him forwards. "Say that again, I dare you," I growl. "I'll show you what happens."

He scoffs, but fear glints in his eyes. He knows I can get him booted from the team. "What, gonna have your friend over there beat me up for you? Don't wanna damage your already shattered reputation."