chapter 36

(Nick POV)

"It's already been a year?" Karl murmurs. 

I smile and ghost his cheekbone with my thumb. "It's crazy," I say. "So much has happened."

Somehow we ended up on his bed, legs entwined and facing each other. It's our version of cuddling, I guess. Not at all gonna be awkward when Alex comes back. 

I feel his face warm up under my thumb, and I giggle. "What was your favourite part of this past year?" I ask. 

He smiles softly, and shifts closer to me. "You must hate me if you want be to choose just one moment," he says quietly.

I mimick his smile and lean forward to press a kiss to his forehead. He ducks his head and scoots closer, pressing the top of his head against my chest. I cradle the back of his head, running my fingers through his hair. One of his arms lands lazily across my waist, the other curled up in between us.

A creak cuts through the air, and Alex gasps. "Oh, uh..."

Karl sits up, and I follow suit. As soon as we make eye contact, he almost collapses to the floor. "Oh, thank fuck," he exhales heavily. "I thought Karl brought some rando back home for a sec."

I laugh. "Nice to see you too."

Karl nudges me with his shoulder, smiling. 

"Wait, what are you doing here?" Alex asks, closing the door. "This isn't Florida."

"It's our one year anniversary," Karl says, standing up. 

Alex nods. "That explains the excessive flowers then," he mutters. 

I groan. "I knew they were too much."

Karl giggles from his charging cord. "Alex, shut the fuck up," he says, smiling. "They're perfect."

"Did you bring those on the plane?" Alex asks me. 

I give him a deadpan glare. "Alex," I say. "Buddy. Friend. Why on earth would I bring fucking flowers on the plane?"

He shrugs. "You didn't answer my question."

Idrag a hand over my face. "Yes, I brought them on the plane," I say sarcastically.

He giggles. "That's embarrassing. How'd they live?"

Karl snorts, and I turn to look at him. The fondess in his eyes startles me, but what's disappointing is it's aimed at Alex. 

You'd think after just over a month he might be over him; but I've also seen boys on the basketball team still talking about their ex three months later. At the same time, Karl and Alex was only for... what, four months? The guys on the team had girlfriends that lasted for up to 10 months, somehow. 

Doesn't matter. 

I mean, I guess it does, but I'm confident enough in our relationship, unlike other people might be. 

"Oh, shit," Karl mutters. He's back at his charging cord, staring down at his phone. Alex is at his desk, sorting through papers. Probably homework. 

"What?" we ask at the same time. 

"I have to go in," he says. "Jimmy needs someone else in the video." He gives me a disappointed look. 

I shrug. "Duty calls."

Alex giggles to himself. "Doody."

"I mean, I could tag along?" I suggest. "Stay in the background, just watch. If that's okay," I add. "If not, Alex and I could have some bro time."