𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨. the only way out is through

Sitting alone in Alaric's desk chair inside his office was Molly, tapping her fingernails on the desk as she looked around

Sitting alone in Alaric's desk chair inside his office was Molly, tapping her fingernails on the desk as she looked around. Despite not being as close to Alaric over the past few years as she had been growing up, her heart still ached for him, as he had been her best friend.

The door to the office opened and Caroline entered, surprising Molly completely. Quickly, the brunette got out of the chair, "Caroline! I had no idea you were coming back." The Hale admitted, as Caroline realised that Molly jumped because she probably felt like she wasn't aloud to sit in the chair.

"Relax, you are headmistress now... along with me of course." Caroline began, "And to find out that two of my daughters are heretics and the other fled to Belgium, I feel like I had to come home." She concluded, reaching Molly now as she opened her arms to hug the shorter woman.

Molly noticed this, and hugged Caroline back, needing this hug more than she knew. "I'm sorry for your loss. I know Alaric meant a lot to you." The Salvatore said, as Molly blinked away her tears, "I'm sorry too... he was the father of your kids— it must be hard also."

Caroline nodded, taking a step back, but not breaking the embrace which caused Molly to blush. "It does... it's awful. Though we didn't always see eye to eye... at the end of the day he's Lizzie and Josie's Dad." The Salvatore sighed, deciding not to include Maze in that sentence because he hadn't been a great father to her at all.

"How are the girls?" Molly asked, wondering if they had said much about the loss of Alaric. The Hale knew that Mazikeen didn't care in her humanity-less state.

"They're both understandably really upset... I wish they were around so I could give them a big hug... and remind them of how loved they are." Caroline trailed off, before changing the subject.

"I'm going to go and see Mazikeen. I'll see you later?" The blonde stepped away from Molly, as the other vampire nodded. "Sure! Vardemus is stopping by later too— the real one, not Ryan Clarke." The Hale quickly spoke, as Caroline nodded before she left.

❤︎

A chipper Azazel entered the cafeteria sitting area with a tray full of breakfast food. He scanned the room to look for Clarissa or MG, and stopped when he found them seated at a table with Kaleb, Cleo, Finch and Ari.

The Parker stood upright, trying to seem confident as he approached the table. "Morning, guys." He spoke, greeting the group as everyone turned to him.

"Hey Azzie!" MG was the first to greet him, before Azazel caught the hopeful look in the vampire's eye, that the siphon would sit beside him. The Parker couldn't help but to smile, before he walked over and placed his tray down on the table beside MG.