Chapter 2

Her wedding day was off to a terrible start.

Aiden and Jackson arrived earlier than she'd been expecting. She was awoken unceremoniously by them crashing into the walls while they carried her bags up, snapping her out of what was likely to be her last pleasant dream for the foreseeable future.

"You couldn't have been a little quieter?" she asked sourly as she walked out of the bathroom after brushing her teeth.

"Why weren't you already awake?" retorted Aiden. "It's your wedding day, you should've been up hours ago."

"It's eight in the morning! The wedding is at eight o'clock, I wasn't going to wake up twelve hours prior. I could have woken up at midday and gotten there on time, it's not like I'm commuting or pre-gaming."

"Let's be optimistic," encouraged Jackson. "Now you're up, and we're here, so how about we help you organize?"

Ibeth sighed. "Let me eat something first. I can't have an empty stomach right now, I'll feel worse."

Aiden and Jackson must have eaten the equivalent of half a horse each, solely consisting of eggs, bacon, hash browns, and sausages. Ibeth's plate was much smaller because of her nerves. A few pancakes and two sausages. She kept feeling like she might throw up. Her skin almost burned from the discomfort.

She made them sit on the balcony while she organized, happy for their company, but irritated with their inability to follow her instructions and put things away how she wanted them to. She could hear a faint argument between Klaus and Hayley in another room. Again, the water was running to keep it private. The only names she caught were 'Finn' and 'Elijah.' She wasn't sure what that was about.

It took her until midday to finish organizing, which still left her many hours to get ready. She took a nice, long shower, scrubbing off all the sweat from having essentially hopped around her room like a rabbit. She emerged in a soft robe, courtesy of Hayley. She slipped on only her bra and underwear, deciding she'd just stay in the robe to get ready. It was too comfortable to remove.

She was just beginning to set out her makeup and hair supplies to begin work when there was a knock on her door.

"Hello," she said, raising a brow at the woman there. "Who—?"

"Rebekah," she said, extending her hand toward Ibeth. "You remember me, I hope?"

Ibeth nodded. "Yes. Sorry, I didn't know you were back. I didn't know what you'd look like, either... Klaus didn't tell me anything."

She rolled her eyes. "Typical Nik. I returned yesterday."

"Just in time for the wedding," said Ibeth softly.

"I wish," said Rebekah. "Unfortunately I will not be able to attend. My brother Kol has a life-or-death matter he needs help with. I'll be missing your nuptials. I came to ask if you needed help. If you have a dress yet. If you don't, I could help you find one. I happen to be the only woman alive who's commissioned wedding dresses in five different centuries. Never made it down the aisle, of course..."

"I'm sure you will, soon," said Ibeth kindly. "I do have a dress, but it's a bit on the old side..." she went to her closet, withdrawing a simple white gown with a lace pattern over the off-shoulder top, stopping at the waist where it flowed down as a simple skirt to her feet. "This was what my mother wore when she was married. I'll need it a bit tighter around the waist... she was pregnant with me when she wore it. Technically, one could say I've worn this dress twice. Once, twenty-seven years ago, while in her body, and now..." she trailed off.

"It is beautiful," said Rebekah sweetly. "Well, go on, put it on! I could adjust it for you. Then you can do your hair and makeup in peace without worrying about the dress."