Chapter 15

Freya invited her to do yoga.

The next several days passed without any news about Lucien. Elijah had stopped Klaus from killing him because of an apparent weapon he was supposedly in possession of. This news had come to him from Tristan de Martel, his first sireling, who now resided in New Orleans along with ancient vampires of an organization (cult, in Ibeth's mind) Elijah had founded known as The Strix.

"You're very tense," said Freya after Ibeth returned from taking Nick to school. "Come on. Let's do some yoga."

"And that'll fix all my problems?" muttered Ibeth half-heartedly.

"It won't, but it'll bring you some peace. Come on... take a break from the intense training and join me for something more calming."

Ibeth relented. She followed Freya into the upstairs study, and mimicked her as she laid out a yoga mat, beginning to stretch. Unfortunately for Ibeth, she wasn't as flexible as Freya and also not as good at keeping her balance. She managed, little by little, to imitate her as best as she could. For a moment, she was relaxed.

Then Klaus walked in.

"What are you doing here?" he asked when he saw them cross-legged on the floor.

Freya opened an eye to glare at him. "We live here?"

He sighed. "Yes, obviously. I just hadn't realized you were back from wherever it is you go to when you leave! Perhaps I was thrown off by the lack of strange gentleman callers perusing the contents of my refrigerator this morning."

Freya smirked. "Your concern for my whereabouts is touching. But we are simply doing yoga. And it would be best if you did not interrupt us."

Klaus glanced at Ibeth, who was doing her best not to look at him. "I simply want to know who is here at any given moment! I hardly think that's too much to ask."

"Well, as long as we're taking attendance," said Hayley as she walked in with Elijah following behind.

"Oh, good!" said Klaus mockingly. "It's my not-so-loving older brother and my former one-night-stand! What a nice, normal family gathering."

"Would be normal if you weren't here," said Ibeth under her breath.

Hayley quickly drew the attention back to her. "So, that Tristan guy you were telling us about? He's inviting people to parties now."

Elijah held up a small card. "He's invited me to The Strix Gala. Tonight."

"Well, you will not attend," said Klaus. "I had in mind to give that seer of Lucien's another go. The witch claims her visions are constantly evolving."

Hayley smiled. "Well, I want to meet this psychic witch." She faced Elijah. "Tonight."

Ibeth assumed she was implying attending The Strix Gala with him. Though, she had no clue what that had to do with the prophetic witch considering she was with Lucien and not with Tristan. She chose not to voice her confusions. "Well," she said, getting to her feet, "I'm off to go see my friends again."

"And what of our Pack?" said Klaus sharply as she made to leave. "You've spent more time with your friends the past days than with them."

"Don't be talking to me about time spent with them. I train with them every day, I drive to the Bayou every day to check on the children we were taking care of. If I need a second to go see my friends then there is nothing wrong with that. You don't even talk to the wolves at all. I'd go and socialize if I were you, instead of chastising me."

Klaus bit his tongue hard to hold back a comment. Ibeth walked away triumphantly.

Cami informed her of a festival taking place out in the streets in front of Rousseau's. Currently, the bar was packed, but Ibeth didn't mind. She made her way there and sat at her usual booth after ordering herself some onion rings and a drink. Cami was far too busy to sit with her at the moment, but Ibeth expected she'd be able to chat in awhile.