Chapter 12

Davina wasn't happy to see her.

"I'm the Regent of the Nine Covens now," said the witch tightly. "People schedule meetings with me, they don't just barge into the cemetery."

Ibeth held up a cup of coffee and a donut. "Marcel says you're usually free at this time. Blame him. I needed to see you and I wasn't going to wait to schedule any stupid meetings."

"I know what you want," said Davina, not accepting the coffee, but happily grabbing the donut. "It's all the witches in the Quarter talk about. You and the rest of the Mikaelsons want the Crescents to be cured. But Klaus did that to them in the first place. He can solve his own problems, he doesn't have to send you."

Ibeth frowned. "Davina, I'm not here as a Mikaelson. I'm here as the Alpha of the Crescent Wolf Pack."

"Well, even if I wanted to help, I can't," said Davina, not meeting her gaze. "I don't know how to undo the curse. And I can't be seen helping you."

"Why the hell not? Your witch buddies won't like it? Think of it as you re-establishing peace between the communities. We have no bad blood. The wolves have been civil, so have the vampires. We're a community in need and we are reaching out for support."

"The wolves are allies to Klaus. So are the vampires. I can hardly see Marcel and Josh without them all sneering at me."

"Seems you care a little bit too much about what they think of you. Nothing wrong with having friends. It's not like you're helping Marcel commit mass murder. You're the Regent. You're the leader. Show them who's boss. The wolves are my people first and foremost. They are allies to the Mikaelsons because of my marriage but they are mostly separate. They still live in the Bayou, mostly, and they have no ill will toward any of you."

Davina shook her head. "The witches are not fond of you at all. Since you married Klaus, you've basically been blacklisted from this community, Ibeth. If I were you, I'd be watching your back. You know what happened when Hayley was pregnant with Hope. The witches were vicious, trying to end the pregnancy. The wolves were big talkers when they lived here just two months ago. They all talked about you and Klaus having a kid to seal the union. And the witches don't like it. They won't be pleased with another tribrid or hybrid child. They see it as an abomination."

"Oh, for fuck's sake, I can't control what genes my kid inherits," snapped Ibeth. "But I wouldn't let them become monsters. Klaus may be terrible in many ways but he isn't training Hope to kill people! He reads her bed time stories and right now he's helping me take care of wolf children. If we have a child, they will be no threat to the witches. There has to be some reasoning that'll convince them to help me. Or some reasoning to prove that you helping me is a benefit to the community. We'll do anything. We'll get you supplies for the next ten years. A lot of your herbs grow out in the Bayou, we could bring them to you."

"It's not that simple, Ibeth."

"Okay, then more extreme, I will... I will... I will let you all bind my organs so I can't have kids. There, solves the problem, no more hybrid or tribrid babies."

Davina sighed. "I wouldn't pitch that idea at all. They'd do it and still not help you cure the wolves."

"Davina you're the fucking Regent are you really claiming to be powerless here?"

"Look, I have power, that's not the problem, but the Ancestors aren't exactly pleased with what went down when Dahlia was defeated and the witches now sure aren't happy with any Mikaelson associations. No matter how we try to spin this, it ends in the Mikaelsons benefitting. Please, Ibeth, I'm not a kid anymore, I know and so does everyone that as soon as the Crescents are cured, you and Klaus are going to start trying for a kid. It's not exactly a secret! The witches have been cruel since the first day I became Regent. I can't be seen helping you, I can't." She finished her donut, hand trembling as she reached for the necklace she was wearing. "You know who would know how to cure them, though? Kol."